Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer and Web MD  (Read 18111 times)

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I want to take a rubber axe to this computer!
    Internet Explorer and Web MD
    « on: March 03, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
    Haseo
    You need to start your own topic.

I'm sorry my mistake.  :-[

Hello,
    I seem to have this problem with IE 5.0. I'm using Windows 98se. When I try to visit Web MD, IE closes and some of my icons next to my clock are gone, as well as my wallpaper. I tried to reinstall IE, to no avail. Since then, I have avoided visiting Web MD. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
    Thank you
    P.S. This has happened every time I visited that website for the past few months, so I don't think it was them.
    My status may say I'm online, but that don't necessarily mean I'm at the computer. Most likely, I'm asleep as I suffer from a number of health problems. Please forgive me if I take a while to reply to a post. m(_ _)m

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet Explorer and Web MD
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
    Try Firefox, and see, if same thing happens.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
      Hello,
      I tried FireFox three times in the past, and my internet connection was even worse than usual. I couldn't get online muchless visit any website. :(

Page loading is astronomically slow for any website I visit, at any time of day. I tried everything from clearing out the cache, cleaning out old and unused files, uninstalling unused programs and disabling startup programs. I run a virus scan every week, check for spyware and adware everyday and defrag my computer every month. Pages can take as long as 5 minutes to come up, but pictures might be missing. I do have a pop up stopper that I can disable when I need to. Nothing seems to work.  :'(
      « Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:57:24 AM by Haseo »
      My status may say I'm online, but that don't necessarily mean I'm at the computer. Most likely, I'm asleep as I suffer from a number of health problems. Please forgive me if I take a while to reply to a post. m(_ _)m

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
      What type of internet connection do you have and who is the provider ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
      How is your computer housekeeping, and security?

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »
        What type of internet connection do you have and who is the provider ? ?
        I'm using cable and the provider is Comcast.

How is your computer housekeeping, and security?

I'm using McAfee, that is provided free to comcast subscribers. Housekeeping? ??? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "how". :-\

elxr06

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
        I'm using McAfee, that is provided free to comcast subscribers. Housekeeping? ??? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "how". :-\

Houskeeping ... do you clean your registry? Do you clear out your browser? Do you use software like CCleaner? That sort of stuff...

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
        Have you previously had good performance with that computer on your broadband connection?  Was this slowdown gradual or sudden?

You're using a very old browser.  I'd definitely update IE to version 6

McAfee still supports Win 98SE?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
        That McAfee provided by Comcast runs in real time, or it's a scan on demand (ran manually)?

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »
          Housekeeping ... do you clean your registry? Do you clear out your browser? Do you use software like CCleaner? That sort of stuff...

I clear out the browser whenever I remember. I'm scared of the registry. :(
          I use Fix-it utilities Professional 6. I can't afford to upgrade right now.   :'(           

Quote from: soybean link=topic=52556.msg329926#msg329926
          date=1204828329
          Have you previously had good performance with that computer on your broadband connection?  Was this slowdown gradual or sudden?

You're using a very old browser.  I'd definitely update IE to version 6

McAfee still supports Win 98SE?

As far as I saw it, the slowdown was sudden. The connection on this computer was fine before then. This happened in May a few years back.
          McAfee sends offers to upgrade, but I can't do so with this OS.

I seem to have this problem with IE 5.0.
          I double checked my IE version, and it is version 6. Sorry, my mistake. :-[

That McAfee provided by Comcast runs in real time, or it's a scan on demand (ran manually)?

I think you can set it to either one, but I leave mine on real time. I hate it though, as it slows down my already slow connection.  >:(

I'm sorry my reply is late. Please refer to my Signature for explanation.
          m(_ _)m
          « Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:19:37 AM by Haseo »

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:20:42 AM »
          Download HijackThis:
          http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
          and post its log.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »
            Hello Broni,
            Here is the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
            Scan saved at 12:32:41 PM, on 03/08/2008
            Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
            MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
            Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCSHLD9X.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\OASCLNT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCTSKSHD.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\MSCIFAPP.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCANSOFT\OMNIPAGESE4.0\OPWARESE4.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
            C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
            R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by AT&T WorldNet Service
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = file://C:\PROGRA~1\PRIMED~1\PRIMED~1.PAC
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = sas.ne2.attbb.net:8000
            R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;localhost;*.ne2.attbb.net
            R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C988BA8-1BCD-4F2A-9876-96B1F2D89A77} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
            O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\MCBRHLPR.DLL
            O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\POPUPKILLER.DLL
            O3 - Toolbar: Ad Guard - {CE0A34D3-C30F-4F3D-B0D3-9B936EDFBD91} - C:\Program Files\\AdGuard\AdGuard.dll
            O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
            O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCTskShd] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mctskshd.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] c:\windows\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "c:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
            O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McShld9x] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcshld9x.exe
            O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
            O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
            O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
            O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
            O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
            O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
            O16 - DPF: {9A57B18E-2F5D-11D5-8997-00104BD12D94} (compid Class) - http://support.gateway.com/support/serialharvest/gwCID.CAB
            O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
            O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
            O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
            O16 - DPF: {78AEEDE8-7345-4FB5-A8FE-4BFF16EF25FC} (McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class) - http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/cab/mvt.cab
            O16 - DPF: {1842B0EE-B597-11D4-8997-00104BD12D94} (iCC Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pcpConnCheck.cab

--
            End of file - 5623 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
            I don't see much there, but...
            Open HJT, and checkmark following entries:
            - O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1C988BA8-1BCD-4F2A-9876-96B1F2D89A77} - (no file)
            - O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E434D3C7-A673-4100-8140-79C020945017} - (no file)
            - O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
            Click "Fix checked".

Next...
            Download, and install CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Get "Slim" version.
            Read CCleaner instruction here: http://www.jahewi.nl/ccleaner/ccleaner.html, and run CCleaner

Then...
            Navigate to C:\Windows, and find Hosts.sam file. Open it with Notepad, copy, and paste it back here.

Haseo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
              Hello Broni,
              Here is the Hosts.sam file:

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
              #
              # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
              #
              # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
              # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
              # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
              # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
              # space.
              #
              # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
              # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
              #
              # For example:
              #
              #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
              #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
              Nothing there.
              Please update your IE to version 6.

When you're done with upgrading...
              Download, and install TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
              Open it, and put a checkmark in Optimal Settings. Click Apply changes button.
              Restart computer.