Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Which keys do you use?

WASD
29 (72.5%)
Arrow Keys
8 (20%)
Other (specify)
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: WASD or Arrow keys?  (Read 23706 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: WASD or Arrow keys?
    « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
    yeah, dont use the word much tendence to forgot after I dont use them for so long.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

leesablade

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
      depending on the game, but i normally prefer to use arrow keys

lobster_man

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 03:41:11 AM »
        WASD ftw ^^

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:18 AM »
          You can have more problems with the w,s,a,d then the arrows but its easier to pull out stuff.  But if your plaing like a spy game well you probably end up getting caught a whole. 
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 08:04:20 PM »
            yea but if u hve a game that requires u to operate multiple keys similtaneously then it would be best to get a game pad. i can tell u that when i hooked up my SNES controller to my comp, and started playing Super Mario World, it became a blessing.
            If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
              True I suppose but you can change them to make it easier usually.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
              I use a ZBoard. I have 8 keysets for the USB model. The one in the picture below, Battlefield II, the standard keyset, World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade (different keys from the original WoW keyset), the Crossfire keyset (the original gaming keyset distributed with PS/2 models, similar to the one in the picture with a slightly different key config on the left), and the Microsoft Office keyset. I also have the Everquest 2 keyset which I have never used since I don't own EQ2, but the keyset came free.

Using the ZEngine program, you can customize any of the keys to perform any other function if desired (great for remapping keys that can't be remapped) or setup a macro.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »
              wish i was ambidextrous so that i could use the arrows or the WASD whenever I felt like it.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
                I like to use a combo joystick an keyboard, make him walk with one use the other for artillery

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
                  most importantly, if ever single game in the world would allow you to switch between arrow keys, joystick, gamepad, or WASD keys then we all probably wouldnt post comments on this form ;).(not being rude)

sjn2009

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
                    I've always preferred WASD in FPS games. However when i started playing Grand Chase and World of Warcraft I found myself using Arrow keys than configuring all the keys around me including num pad to make it all easier. It's become a bit of a habit for me although I cant play FPS that style... Just too hard :P

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »
                      except then when u want to type in nums when chatting on world of war craft then u would have to switch on the num lock every single time.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
                      for FPS like battlefield or ocunterstrike, using the arrow keys would be like committing suicide. WASD all the way!!

quaxo

Guru
                        • Yes
                      • Computer: Specs
                      • Experience: Guru
                      « Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »
                      for FPS like battlefield or ocunterstrike, using the arrow keys would be like committing suicide. WASD all the way!!

Well, one very important thing to keep in mind is some people use a mouse with their left hand. I can actually do both: mouse left and arrow keys right -OR- mouse right and WASD left. Even though I can, I typically don't, given the keyboard I use (ZBoard, see my previous post in this thread).

But, on a normal keyboard, trying to use WASD and a left hand mouse is like trying to use the arrow keys with a right handed mouse... either way it's very awkward.

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »

i actually use the arrows when i am flying in battlefield 2 and 2142. i find it alot easier then the mouse, especially when making extremely sharp turns or dives.