Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fusion News..... HELP!  (Read 8940 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Fusion News..... HELP!
« on: January 20, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
Hi all! I have a website, and have my own staff.... I want them to be able to post stuff on the site, without them having to download my software for development.... I found this place here, but I don't know how to make this software work... I don't know much about scripts.... Here's the link... http://fusionphp.org/news.php ... I need to decode it, and upload it I think, but I have no idea how to.... Please help!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

Re: Fusion News..... HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:45:41 PM »
Personally speaking, I don't like the look of the system, mainly because of the ad popup, and partly due to the two lines on the link you gave:

Fusion News 1.0 Beta

Most commonly used across any websites at the moment

(My emphasis, by the way).

It seems a bit of a contradiction that a Content Management System (which, by the way, is the other common name given to this type of script) is "the most commonly used" and yet is still at beta 1. Hmm.

Anyway, they have lied. The most commonly used CMS is PHPNuke, an open source (and ad free) system brought to you by the same folks who did the phpBB forum software... I think. Anyway, I had a mess about with PHPNuke a while back and found it was pretty easy to get up and running and not too difficult to customise either. It also has pretty decent documentation and has a large community to help.

www.phpnuke.org

In general though, you'll need a few things. Firstly, you'll need a server and the software (personally, I'd prefer a Linux box running Apache Server - it'd be easier for the next two bits and a bit cheaper, but it's down to you). I presume you have this, as I see you have your own site.

Next, you'll need an interpreter for whichever language you are using for thr CMS, in this case PHP. If you have your own server, you'll need to download it from www.php.net and set it up according to the instructions. It will almost certainly involve text-editing a few files, but I think you should be okay at that, yes? ;)

If you rent a server from another company and don't have access to it, things can go a bit wrong here. If you don't already have PHP installed, you'll need to get them to install it for you, and this almost always costs you extra. Quite often, you'll need to upgrade to one of the resellers other package deals.

Thirdly, you'll need a database. Most CMS's are built around the open-source MySQL, which admittedly isn't the most user-friendly of beasts (it's based on a command line like in DOS) but at least it's free. If you have PHP installed on your (rented) server, chances are you'll have a MySQL database as well. However, most CMS's will let you choose what type of database you want to use, so as long as you have one, you should be fine. Again, either install it on your own server (www.mysql.org) or get your sysadmin to do it.

From there on in, it's a case of following the instructions, which can vary wildly from system to system. I can't really give you any specific help on this system because I'm not familiar with it, but don't hesitate to post back.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 03:29:49 PM »
Well, I'm using host ultra for my host now... http://www.hostultra.com ... Does this qualify as a database? Can I make it?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:02:46 PM »
You see, all I really WANT here, is a program that my staff can use to post on my web site, without them having to install any software.... It doesn't have to be Fusion, but maybe a similar program... As a matter of fact, if someone could set it up for me, that would be really great. I appreciate all help!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:03:25 PM »
According to the site (you did check, didn't you?) the free package has PHP installed and has the option to install MySQL for $5. If you are paying, you have everything you need.

I can't set it up for you (too busy) but try following the instructions given by whichever program you decide to use and if you have any specific difficulties I'll try and help out here.

If PHPNuke isn't for you, I know of a few other packages which might help. (The star ratings are taken from a .net magazine article, out of 5)

CMSimple (****) - www.cmsimple.dk
Drupal (***) - www.drupal.org
PHP-Nuke (*****) - www.phpnuke.org
phpWebSite (***) - phpwebsite.appstate.edu
Typo3 (*****) - www.typo3.com
XMLNuke (**) - www.xmlnuke.com

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the links! Just a few questions... Do I need to download this file? http://www.php.net/downloads.php  ? If so, which of the two do I download? Also, do I need to Download WinSCP 3.7.1 ? http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/download.php ...? Please let me know!  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 01:51:59 PM by flame »

Corrosive

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 02:25:49 PM »
Of the two, the ZIP file has more features but is slightly harder to set-up (I have a funny feeling that one of the features you need is a part of this package - you are best off with this one). If you follow it's instructions, you should be on your way. You'll get there in the end, I know you will!

The latter one is much easier to set-up but lacks the database support you are going to need for this system. If this doesn't matter to anyone else reading this post, then get it instead. As I say, in your case Flame you'll need the first one.

In case there is any confusion, for Windows you will need to look under Windows Binaries. The Source Code is aimed mainly at the Linux user, although it can be compiled for a Windows machine - it adds a whole lotta complications if you are not so experienced at this though.

As for WinSCP, in your case I doubt you will really need it. It's there simply to protect you against crackers getting a hold of any valuable data; if you've ever shopped online, you'll have noticed the bit where you punch in the credit card will be secure. Since all of the data you'll be using this for will be for public view anyway, no-one will gain any advantage over you or, more likely, won't bother at all. Think of it as having alloy wheels on your car - optional but isn't really necessary.

If you've anything else, I'll be happy to answer. But before I go, I'll give you a treat (since I'm in a really good mood). You like my links, so here's another one! Should hopefully explain everything much better than I ever can.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/backend/databases/index.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 02:26:39 PM by Corrosive »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the link and everything Corrosive! Now, let me appologize ahead of time, and tell you now... It'll be a while before I try it becuase of how busy I am, but I WILL post again soon! Thanks!

[glb]Flame[/glb]