Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good Drive Bad DVR  (Read 2213 times)

swamphox

Topic Starter

Good Drive Bad DVR
    « on: March 11, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
    I have a WD3200 SATA HDD that I pulled from a cannibalized Dish Network DVR. Nothing seems to recognize this drive. In fact it won't even spin up when I install it in an enclosure or a PC. I know th drive is good, but only good inside of it's DVR home. What is preventing this drive from working in anything other than its DVR environment?  And can it be converted?

Thanks

homer

Expert
      Re: Good Drive Bad DVR
      « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
      the most likely reason is that the harddrive is locked. manufactures do this so people cannot transfer the information onto a PC. the original xbox, for example, had a locked HD.

if it is locked, then there is no way to unlock it without the correct password.

swamphox

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
        The drive is not locked in that manner. The transfer on of content is completely allowed. I don't care about anything on the drive... There has to be a way to reformat this drive and wipe it completely. The drive work s fine in a DVR, however, when I put in an enclosure, it won't even spin.

I don't give up as easy as that...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »
        A quick google search suggests they are locked down...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "