Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Too Many Program Files  (Read 1875 times)

PlantLady

Topic Starter

Too Many Program Files
    « on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »
    I am a software junkie and it appears I have too many programs installed for them to all be viewed from the Start...Program menu. I have XP Home. All of the program files do not show when I click on the program menu, is there a way to fix this or a way to move/group some of these so that I can find them all from the start...program menu?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Too Many Program Files
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
    When you click Start, All Programs, does your menu expand into multiple columns, or does it only appear in one column with a scroll arrow at top/bottom? 

PlantLady

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
      There is one column with a scroll arrow at bottom, then it expands into two columns which is not all the programs, with no scroll arrows once expanded.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
      Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs and to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs. You should be able to see all the programs there and remove enough to be able to see them all in the start menu.

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:07:34 AM »
      Right click the start button, choose Explore and group the program shortcuts into subfolders

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
        You can also remove some of the programs from the Program menu by right clicking the programs you don't normally use and choose 'delete'.  It only removes the icon, not the program, from the menu.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
        There is one column with a scroll arrow at bottom, then it expands into two columns which is not all the programs, with no scroll arrows once expanded.
        Hmm, that doesn't make sense.  I believe the menu only works in one of two ways, depending on how your system in configured.  It will either show just one column, with scroll arrows, or it will generate multiple columns when one column can not contain all the programs. 

And, I'm wondering what screen resolution you use.  On a 17 inch monitor set at 1024 x 768 resolution, I believe up to four columns of programs could be displayed in my Programs menu.  Of course, this will also depend on the length of program names on the menu.

Doug.Gentry

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
          Please, when deleting programs, go to the Control Panel and then add remove programs to delete them. NOT from the Programs directory.

UNLESS you go to start / programs and see a little arrow beside the program that will open a fly out box with a Remove (Name of Program) if you click on it, it'll remove said program.

But always, always always remove programs with the add remove in the control panel.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »
          UNLESS you go to start / programs and see a little arrow beside the program that will open a fly out box with a Remove (Name of Program) if you click on it, it'll remove said program.
          Wrong.  See below: