Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no access to optical drives after uninstall of xp programs  (Read 2476 times)

gettingbigj1978

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    no access to optical drives after uninstall of xp programs
    « on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:26 AM »
    i was removing certain program components on windows xp.  after removing sonic cd/dvd writer from windows xp pro media edition, i lost access to both of my dvd drives. 

this error comes up after i uninstall, update etc., drivers in device manager

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

i can toggle between different error depending on whether i allow the computer to automatically choose drivers that won't work, i choose different manufacturers that are not compatible with the software, etc.and others.  i know the brand of one of my dvd drives (matshita sw-9585) which is an obsolete dvdram drive, and i was able to get the driver for this model, but when the update utility in device manager lets me point to the files in the executable i downloaded from the website, it asks for something like this, "$winnt$.inf", which is a file type that does not have a shared extension in the file folder containing the drivers i would be using.

is there anything i can do to regain access to my drives?  i have a feeling that sonic cd/dvd has a larger role in allowing dvd drives to run on a computer, and that uninstalling it made me lose access to these drives.  one minute, it was working fine and the next i lost all access to the drives!

i am able to boot from them if i change the order in the bios, and the bios still recognizes the drives!

here is some of the preliminary info from an everest report

before the changes

Computer:
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
          OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
          DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
          Computer Name                                     BIGJAYCOMPUTER
          User Name                                         Jason

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron D 330, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
          Motherboard Name                                  ECS 661FX-M (Deluxe)  (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
          Motherboard Chipset                               SiS 661FX
          System Memory                                     1088 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
          BIOS Type                                         Award (02/16/05)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
          Video Adapter                                     SiS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series  (64 MB)
          3D Accelerator                                    SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
          Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (10067735)

Multimedia:
          Audio Adapter                                     SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                    SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
          SCSI/RAID Controller                              NERO IMAGEDRIVE SCSI Controller
          Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
          Disk Drive                                        ST340015A  (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
          Disk Drive                                        ST340014A  (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
          Optical Drive                                     52X32COMBO
          Optical Drive                                     MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585  (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
          Optical Drive                                     NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device  (Virtual CD-ROM)
          SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

and after the changes

Computer:
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
          OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
          DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
          Computer Name                                     BIGJAYCOMPUTER
          User Name                                         Jason

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron D 330, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
          Motherboard Name                                  ECS 661FX-M (Deluxe)  (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
          Motherboard Chipset                               SiS 661FX
          System Memory                                     1088 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
          BIOS Type                                         Award (02/16/05)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
          Video Adapter                                     SiS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series  (64 MB)
          3D Accelerator                                    SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
          Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (10067735)

Multimedia:
          Audio Adapter                                     SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                    SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
          Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
          Disk Drive                                        ST340015A  (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
          Disk Drive                                        ST340014A  (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
          Optical Drive                                     52X32COMBO
          Optical Drive                                     MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585  (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
          SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:

apparently this information is taken from the bios because i dont have access to either of my optical drives.  im not sure what to look for on this report either because at the very bottom, it states that these drives arent functioning in the debug section of the report.

everyone here has been so helpful.  any advice would be greatly appreciated!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: no access to optical drives after uninstall of xp programs
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:14:03 AM »
    There is a guided help program for this.

Scroll down the page to 'Download Guided Help'
    Download the 127kb program and run it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.