Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows cannot start-corrupt file  (Read 1989 times)

ArmandoC

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Windows cannot start-corrupt file
    « on: March 16, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
    I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP on it and for some reason I tried turning it on today and as it's loading I get a message that says:
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /Windows/System32/Config/System"
    Then it says I can try repairing it by starting windows from the set up CD-ROM. I tried that and nothing different happens I get the same message. I am at college and this is my home computer so I hadn't used it for some months and it was fine last time I used it so no idea what went wrong. Any type of help would be really appreciated.

If I need to give any more info. please let me know.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows cannot start-corrupt file
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »

ArmandoC

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »
      Thing is, the computer originally had WIndows ME and I put XP on it later on. And now I only have the original Windows ME set up CD-ROM and it won't recognize it or at least it doesn't load it up when I start the computer. I can't even get to the first step they describe in the article.

THanks though

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
      You'll need XP CD. I can't see any other way around.

ArmandoC

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
        Well what do you know I got my hands on an XP CD but again, the computer won't load it up. I keep getting the same error message. Nothing differently happens when the CD is in the computer than when it isn't. I really don't know what to do now.

Edit: Do I have to do something myself when booting up the comp? Safe Mode or something I'm missing somewhere?

ArmandoC

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:22:58 PM »
          Ok so I pressed F12 and it gives me options to boot from and I select the IDE CD-ROM device but it just tells me strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Does it not recognize that there is a CD in there or am I doing it wrong. Sorry I am so clueless about this.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »
          You need to enter BIOS, and make sure CD drive is listed first in boot order.