Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen message  (Read 5985 times)

leesofl

Blue Screen message
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:35:14 AM »
I am running Win 2000 Pro, and this past week I changed over my AOL8 to AOL9 Security Version with McAfee Anti Virus, built into the software.

Last night, when I went to turn the computer on, I accidently hit the power button twice instead of once.  This message came up:  

"STOP, A Wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from a DPC routine.  Beginning Dump of Physical memory"

It sat there on a blue screen for a while, and when nothing happened, I restarted the computer and it's been fine.    

Can someone tell me what that message means, whether it needs to be checked (something possibly I could do as a computer "novice"), or whether it needs a visit to a computer professional.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:02:09 AM by leesofl »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Blue Screen message
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 12:50:57 PM »
Does this happen EVERY time you start the computer? Does this only happen when you try to open AOL? Please tell me.... We might have a way around this...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

leesofl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 01:02:26 PM »
I got the message for the first time at start up on Saturday and again this morning, two days later.  It does not happen every time the computer is turned on.  

The order of events starting Thursday night was:
download aol 9 security
delete aol 8 plus
install mcafee virus and firewall (with norton disabled)
run scans, all aok
uninstall norton internet security
uninstall norton system works
check win update page (no updates)  
 (service pack 4 for 2000 Pro already in place)
run nti back up now for C and D drives

Friday everything ran fine.  

Saturday morning, when powering up the computer, my finger slipped and I accidently hit the power switch twice.  The power button however, cannot turn the power off, it has to be done from the Start menu.
That was when I got the error message.

I did a Google search for "wait operation attach process" and it came back with many hits, some I sort of understand and some that I totally cannot understand.

Thanks for your help!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
Lets TRY a system restore.... Click Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore .... When you click on System Restore, a new window will pop-up... Select Revert your hard drive to an earlier time ... Click Next... Now, you will see a calendar... Click on the DAY BEFORE you installed AOL 9.0 Security Edition... When you have properly selected the day, click next... You will now receive a message sayign what will happen to your computer... Make sure that it is reverting your system to the right day, and click next/close, located on the bottom-right of the window... Your computer will now restart... You will see a status bar, which will show your progress... This procedure MIGHT take a while, so be patient if it does not run quickly... It's perfectly normal... Let us know what happens after...

[glb]Flame[/glb]