Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Widescreen monitor - Windows doesn't give options for widescreen screen res  (Read 8348 times)

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

Just bought a 22" widescreen monitor to replace my old 17" CRT, and all is great except the computer doesn't seem to have noticed there's been a change. Display properties is just giving me the same old set of screen resolution options - no 1680x1050 to be seen :'(

So I went to the manufacturers site and downloaded the driver for it, but it's just three really small files, with no mention of where to put them and how to activate them.

Any clues? Cheers in advance. If this helps the monitor is Hyundai N220W, and I'm using onboard graphics not a dedicated card

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok I know I haven't given this very long but as well as being a *bump*, this reply will contain extra info  ;)

One of the "three really small files" is a .inf which I undersatand is a driver file minus the fancy set up app. Sooo, I tried to "add hardware" and browsed to the location of the file by using the "have disk" option. I attempted to open it and was greeted with "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" >:(

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Your onboard video may not support that resolution...more info on the machine OS, etc.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

Graphics: S3 ProSavageDDR
        Monitor: Hyundai N220W

Can't think what else would be relevant so hope that's of help.

If it is that the resolution isn't supported, does that mean I need a graphics card? If so I have just bought a Matrox G2+ PCI card, which I did try to install at the same time but I gave up on because I couldn't find drivers for it and it came up in really low res, really jerky, and didn't show the bottom bar. Do you know if that card would be sufficient?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        That card looks to be a bit older and may or may not get the job done...but wait for one of our Resident Video Experts such as Calum to stroll in with more advice...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Betaa

Beginner
          if you wish to run a monitor of the size successfully you can buy a very cheap video card with a max resolution of 1680X1050 may i ask what the native resolution is and i can help you pick out a cheap one.
          Teh ßetazorz!!!!!1!!1!!!!1

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

if you wish to run a monitor of the size successfully you can buy a very cheap video card with a max resolution of 1680X1050 may i ask what the native resolution is and i can help you pick out a cheap one.

It is 1680x1050. I was looking at this what do you think?

Link Edit
            « Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:28:11 PM by patio »

Betaa

Beginner
              another question
              tell me which connectors you have on your motherboard

PCI
              PCI-E x16
              PCI-E x1
              AGP
              « Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:42:26 AM by Betaa »

Betaa

Beginner

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have a spare PCI and AGP, quite an old system though so no PCIE

Cheapness is the key here so how does that one look that I posted? Would it do the trick? Cheers

Betaa

Beginner

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

I ain't waiting on US shipping. And with that in mind does my ebay one look suitable? If not i'll look up your suggestions on UK sites.

Betaa

Beginner
                        yeah its basicly the same thing

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

Cool I'll get that ordered then!

Stupid question time... Is installing graphics cards easy? Is it simply a case of plug the card in, plug the monitor in, switch on and hope for the best?

Also do they usually auto detect or am I likely to need drivers? Sorry for asking silly questions but I don't wanna do all this then realise I can't see anything because drivers aren't installed. If that makes sense

GaZ_D200

Topic Starter

Rookie

One more thing...

Is AGP the better choice? I'm guessing so as it's dedicated to graphics whereas PCI is all-purpose... correct?