Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processors,what is the difference?  (Read 6356 times)

sparrow

processors,what is the difference?
« on: January 24, 2005, 01:33:08 PM »
hello again guys, i need some opinion regarding processors, im planning to buy a new desktop system to replace my old IBM P1 166 desktop system. I alraedy have a loptop wich i use for my work. but also whant to buy a system for my kids to use at home. A computer store offered me a complete system one with a celeron 1.8ghz and another one with an AMD sempron with an almost the same ghz. this system packages usually  cost 30% lower than a pentium computer with the same GHz. I like to know what is the noticeable perfomance differences between a celeron, a sempron  and a pentium with the same GHZ? me and my little girls are not really gamers but we do buy some game software from time to time. I also do some digital photo editing , and AUTOCADD drafting  mostly for internet posting, preliminary drawing plans and advetising. thanks and good day!

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: processors,what is the difference?
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:45:23 PM »
    the diff between pentium and celeron is usually the cache speed which you would only notice with an extreme graphics game.if your just using it for basic computing needs a celeron is your best bet. as far as an amd processor,they cost less but do not have the support that intel cpus do.alot of people i know use amd because they are cost effective when building systems.its pretty much a toss up with price.i prefer intel over amd because parts to repair are plentiful.celerons are a great value in the intel line and should be your choice for performance,support and overall longevity.
    WRWSS

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
    Is this Flame with a name change cuz we just had this big discussion a few posts ago.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 02:31:44 PM »
      Hello, how are you? The basic difference between Celeron and Pantium Processor is that Celeron processors have no Cache memory. More cache memory a processor have, more efficiently it works. So if you want to buy System for playing games rather practice to learn then my suggestion is to buy Pantium III processor rather Celeron. It gives you two benifits:

1)- You wont need higher System in the future (depend upon you). Because Pantium III will continue to fullfill your needs long enough than Celeron.

2)- Even a 733MHz Pantium processor gives much better performance than 1.2 GHz Celeron Processor.

I hope this info is enough for you to decide.
      I hope you will get best PC to enjoy. Take care of you and others and be happy.

De.Wahab
      Bye.... :)
      do take care of you and others

wrwss

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »
        Not to call the last poster a liar,but the celeron does cache information around the 128k-256k,whereas the pentium 4goes from 256k to 1m.I dont know where you are from but in the united states they dont even sell the pentium 111 any more.most low line new systems come standard with a celeron with clock speeds between 2.2g and 2.4g and up to 2.8g and have cache speed of 128 for the low line and 256 for upper celeron.Celeron is excellent performer for the value.will handle any application except graphic intense games (like doom 3 or the new need for speed).Look it up at www.intel.com
        WRWSS

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
        Hi there! I recently had the same question.... Try this post out... http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3;action=display;num=1105987735

[glb]Flame[/glb]

sparrow

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 03:26:47 AM »
        gee thanks guys, sorry if posted an old questions but this site is so popular it sometime much easier to post than to search for the topic you needed. anyways, guys your really a big help.......i might consider a system with a celeron but have the option to upgrade to a pentium later..... :-)

sparrow

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 04:58:51 AM »
        My girls usually will use the computer for educational games. but here are the software I usually use AUTOCADD 2000, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP,MIcrosoft OFFICE, i particularly fancy strategy games like Commando series, warcraft series, command and conquer series, JUmpstart educational games and photo editing softwares for a vivitar digital camera. will ill be able to run this programs satisfactorily on a Celeron computer in case i use it as a backup computer?

wrwss

Intermediate
        • PITTSBURGH,PA.
          « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 06:09:12 AM »
          Celeron will be more than sufficent>You'll be glad you saved the money.Excellent performer for your applications.
          WRWSS

sparrow

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:23:04 AM »
          Sorry if this is going to be an off-topic question but I might as well ask it here. My old deskstop system wich We still use is an IBM aptiva w/a Pentium166 processors and 2 harddisk w/ a total of 3.4GB devided into 3 partitions Drives C,D,E. Althought this system is really outdated , I really like this system because of its users friendliness. I comes with a “product recovery disk”  that  reinstall  all factory software (w/ windows and dos)  back to it original state and at the Same time removing  all trash programs (virus,adware,spyware etc..) from the primary drive C;  all I have to do is  return my important files and application  from storage at drives D and E. well this process takes from 2-4 hrs to accomplish but it beats constantly buying those ati –spy-adware-virus softwares. What I want to know is, can I also do this with a Brand new  but unbranded “build up”  system like the celeron system Im planning to buy? How do you install “Windows98-2000-ME to a brandnew  hard disks?  Can I also partition  a 40GB HDD? …….Its it advisable for a  untrained computer user like me to install-remove Windows?  What  unrepairable damage can it cause to my brand new hard disk? What do you do to a brand new HARD disk  to make your system start working? Advices? Or maybe you can redirect me to another topic or site? Thanks!

viking

Adviser
          • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
            « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:57:12 AM »
            A lot of questions... It will no problem to partition a new hdd, even of 40 GB or more. You need a cd with Windows on it, preferably Windows XP now. It is not a problem for you to install Windows; before installing Windows you have to be carrefull to create the partitions. When you set up Windows XP you can create partitions at the begining of install. The older games, not designed for Windows, and a few designed for Windows, or older programs might not work any more (this is normall, they were designed for the operating systems and computers of their time).

sparrow

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 07:33:27 AM »
            Do you mean installing windows for the first time is as easy as turning the New system "ON" puting the CD with windows 98,XP or ME in the CD rom drive, turning it "OFF" again, wait a few seconds, turn the system on again and "SET UP WINDOWS" procedure will be displayed on the monitor? wherein il jus pick and enter everything? is it that easy?........sorry for pushing you guys to your limits but I really want to this on my own if possible. I also want to be able to test the system before i bring it out of the store. Some store personel have the habit of puting defective part on a brandnew system once they notice the buyer is a rookie specially the unbranded built-up systems. thanks again guys i cant wait to get through this.... :-)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 02:06:10 PM »
               sparrow......Wow ......I cant believe your idea of virus control is to do a repair all the time .

"well this process takes from 2-4 hrs to accomplish but it beats constantly buying those ati –spy-adware-virus softwares. "

Why dont you use a good anti virus and adware/spyware remover .......these can be obtained online ( free ) ........you would save yourself a lot of unnecessary work ,not to mention the frustration .
              As for the rest of your questions ...and there are a number ........why dont you either google them or post them here in the appropriate spots and you will probably receive much more definitive results.

dl65  ::)  
              « Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 02:08:44 PM by dl65 »
              If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

sparrow

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »
              Im sorry dl 35 if my idea of virus management is too primitive....but with my limited knowledge in software maintenance this methods works for me  ;). besides I had my share of Free anti spy-virus wares downloaded from the internet, but non of them really works; my system still hijacked,crashes and freezes after using them.  again, im sorry if ive messdup this topic :-[, ill try to find the forun topic relevant to my questions  ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 02:56:50 PM »
                sparrow...Well , if it works for you .........but there really is good scanning software available at no cost that will do the job.........
                Would you mind telling us which free anti-virus software and spyware scanners that didnt do the job for you ...and which O/S are you using ? We may just be able to suggest something which will do the job for you .
                We should really continue this discussion in ..........
                http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14
                let us know

dl65  ::)
                « Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:00:04 PM by dl65 »
                If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.