Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP with Notebook Computer  (Read 1987 times)

Glacier

Topic Starter

HELP with Notebook Computer
    « on: March 19, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »
    To make a long store short I tried to share a printer on a notebook computer and now I cannot even use the computer.  It seems to be issues with firewalls when I tried to access the internet.  This computer used by my college daughter and I think her university has some firewall that I could not get buy..... anyway it was working fine for many months until I tried to add file and printer sharing.....

I tried everything.  I used System Restore twice and thought I would do it one more time and that's what killed it. Now when I start the computer all access to the internet is missing such as Firefox and Explorer.... the icon is there but it will not access. It looks like several things are missing and it runs very very slow. Basically I cannot do anything with it.

I have gone into Safe Mode and have been able to copy my files to back up but it will not let me run System Restore Any thoughts or advice would really help... thanks!  In its current state it is unusable except in safe mode and I still cannot access the internet.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HELP with Notebook Computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
    are you able to disable the firewall(s)?

Tell us more about the operating system and the computer, please.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Glacier

Topic Starter

Re: HELP with Notebook Computer
      « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »
      Had to take a long break from the computer as I didn't have the time.  The computer was not usuable so I finally reloaded the Operating System and it still won't access the internet.  However, I did bring it to Caribou and logged into their wireless just fine.

I have Linksys Wireless WRT54G 2.4 Broadband Router that has 1 desktop directly wired to it and another notebook, a desktop and a printer all wirelessly connected. They all work fine and this particular notebook worked fine up until the day I tried file sharing.

Also, I tried to put in the IP address manually and it says it is connected but I cannot get on the internet. However, when I let it select IP automatically it says I have little or no connectivity.

My next step is either resetting the router or buying a new router.  My biggest fear is that the other computers and printer won't work!