Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Windows Vista program used to connect to wireless modem  (Read 3050 times)

Design_Flaw

Okay, so I used to have an older computer (with XP) and I used a Linksys 802.11g USB Network adapter to connect to the various modems around my house (we have three internet connections - one wired, two wireless). The Linksys adapter came with its drivers, but the same CD also installed a Linksys program which you could use to see and connect to your wireless modems. I really liked this program and it worked great.

A few months ago I bought a new HP computer with Windows Vista Home Premium. When I went to install the Linksys adapter on that computer, Vista downloaded the drivers for it no problem. But instead of using the Linksys program I mentioned above, Vista is using its own "Connect to a network" program and I can't even figure out how to make it use the Linksys one. Don't get me wrong, it does allow me to connect to the internet, but the Linksys program had more features and was more user friendly. Also, the Vista program doesn't seem to always pick up all of my wireless networks whereas the Linksys one always did.

I'm not sure if you really need a whole lot of information about my computer's hardware or anything. I'm just assuming it's a Vista problem...

If you need to know more then just let me know. I'd just really like it if Vista didn't use its own program as a default...

Thanks,
Chris