Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me with my Mac  (Read 7556 times)

Novicecutie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Help me with my Mac
    « on: March 23, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »
    So here's the story.
    My brother in laws mother gave me a mac...a real old school one. It's shaped like a wedge. But ever since I've got it I can't install anything...I don't really know how to, nor does anyone else because we've always been PC people. Everytime I do some bloody error comes up. It says Authorization in big bold letters and then tells me I can't install this program on the computer. I have no clue what to do, I can't install flash, firefox, nothing.
    If someone could please help that would be wonderful!

Cheers
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:05:07 PM by Novicecutie »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help me with my Mac
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
    Can you tell us exactly what OS it is? I believe a wedge is not an Operating System....  ;)
    Also tell us what the full error message is.

Kryptonite

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
      « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:42 AM »
      Hey Novicecutie, Like CD said, it would help a whole lot if you could tell us a few things ie OS, Model Number, and it might help if you asked your bro-in-law to tell you if he had any problems and was the Mac in good running order when he gave it to you.

If it is a model made before Steve Job left the company and then came back it may still have "forever call in tech support" which was ordered by the courts in a class action suit that ordered Apple to honor it's "lifetime" support promise back when most computer companies did that sort of thing. At least Apple is still around while most of the PC companies that were almost giants were felled by realities either known from the get go or found out quickly after jumping into the business both feet first and eyes closed. At least that's the way that i see it/ but i digressed. Please accept my apologies.
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
      novicecutie, to check the OS version, click on the apple in the top left corner, then click on "about this mac."  It should tell you the info we need.

Novicecutie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »
        Oh alright sorry guys haha It's a Mac OS X? yeah that's what it says. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
        It should also say the full version name though after it.  Like Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4, etc.

Novicecutie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »
          It says it's a Mac OS X version 10.1.5.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
          The password that it's asking for is just any Administrator password...

You need to know one of the adminstrator's passwords to install software, or else you're going to have to find your Mac OS X install disc, which will allow you to reset the password if needed.

Novicecutie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
            Alright so, neither him nor his mother know the password. She forgot it and never told him. So how do I wipe the computer and start over?
            and if I do wipe it and start over, will it include shockwave...or even let me download it? because right now I can't download anything.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
            once again "...or else you're going to have to find your Mac OS X install disc, which will allow you to reset the password if needed."

If you have the disk, you can reset the password.  Let me know if you have it or not.

Or you could take the easier route and just bring it to an apple store.  They'll help you out if you don't have the disk.  Just make an appointment online at www.apple.com/retail.

It's free.