Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM  (Read 3639 times)

patrol

RAM
« on: January 25, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »
When I check on properties, my computer says I have 48mb of ram. I have checked the memory board and it is a 64mb board. Why is my computer confused? I am running windows 98se and I am trying to load XP.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Patrol.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: RAM
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 07:16:28 PM »
    patrol.....I dont know what pc you have but it sounds like an older model ...if it only has 64mbs......
    You should have a minimum of 128mb to run Win XP ...so dont be surprised if it wont load......you will need to purchase more ram to use XP

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 07:16:51 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Computer_Commando

Re: RAM
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:05:08 PM »
    When I check on properties, my computer says I have 48mb of ram. I have checked the memory board and it is a 64mb board. Why is my computer confused? I am running windows 98se and I am trying to load XP...

I suspect your video memory is shared from main memory.  Windows should report video memory as 16MB.  You can change this in the BIOS.  As dl65 has said, your computer will not run XP with 48MB RAM.  If this is an old computer, keep Win98SE.