Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCU overheating after build!! help?  (Read 2708 times)

Rob

Topic Starter

Rookie

PCU overheating after build!! help?
    « on: March 27, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
    OK so I just made my new gaming computer and I turned it on for the first time ...went into bios options and when I got to the 'PC Health' section' I noticed that the CPU had overheated to 96*c!!!! I had only had it on for roughly 5 minutes with all the fans working(front 12cm, rear 8cm, CPU fan, PSU fan) . So I quickly turned it off and opened it up to see if it was just a fault or not. inside was cool but as I lifted off the cpu fan the CPU was pretty hot and had melted the gell from the cpu fan. (Stock fan with no arctic silver or equivilent on CPU)

have any ideas on what has caused this to overheat so fast and dramatically? I need help :(

regards
    Rob

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: PCU overheating after build!! help?
      « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:54:23 AM »
      I had the same problem.  How many fans are in the case?  How big is your heatsink or Model?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
      (Stock fan with no arctic silver or equivilent on CPU)

This is probably what did it.
      Travel to the Arctic Silver site for instructions on applying it properly...
      Hopefully you're not out a CPU and MBoard but no guarantees...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »
        (Stock fan with no arctic silver or equivilent on CPU)

This is probably what did it.
        Travel to the Arctic Silver site for instructions on applying it properly...
        Hopefully you're not out a CPU and MBoard but no guarantees...

I think that Patios probably right since I had class an didnt read your whole post.  Also a larger heatsink will help this if the paste wont. 
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:08:40 AM »
          Todays cpu's are designed to shut themselves off when they get to hot so I think you will be ok.

There is only one thing that can make a pc heat this much this quickly and that is no thermal paste contact. That is assuming your numbers are right. After installing the new thermal paste, start the computer and go directly into the bios and watch the temp. If it is already at 96c I might suspect a bad sensor.
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Rob

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:26:26 AM »
            ok sorry I havn't replied but it took me all of yesterday getting all my files from my old computer and setting up games , internet etc.
            I can't believe i missed this but 2 pegs were loose on one side of the cpu fan which meant that it wasnt in contact with it. I clipped it in and im now running 30-35 degreese idle!