Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mother board ???  (Read 5212 times)

Bmx485

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I use Yahoo..
    Mother board ???
    « on: March 27, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »
    Do all computers have a North bridge and a South bridge. I see these terms used and don't exactly understand what they are. I read about them in the dic. on this site but don't know if ALL computers have them. Thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Mother board ???
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »
    I don't think I can give you an absolute answer, but I believe the two bridges are basically standard motherboard architecture.  Here's a reference which may help in understanding their function: A Closer Look at North and South Bridges

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »
    Great googly moogly!

Just gimme a Cray and be done with it!   ;)

Thanks, soy -- now I gotta go rest a while...

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Bmx485

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I use Yahoo..
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
      HI, Soybean, OK what I want to do is put a intel T7500 processor in place of my T2330 I have now. I don't think the NB/SB will have mush say as the motherboard supports 800 FSB. At least I don't think so. I don't know jack about chips pci,  nb/sb etc. I am just trying to put more speed in my laptop. It's just something to see if I can do it and will it work the way I expect. Reading that article said alot and made me not want to read to much into it as it would only make me doughtful of what I'm trying to do. Thakks for the info and any info you can give on this processor installion would be great. I have a Toshiba A205 Satilitte S5804. Thks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
      Have you checked Toshiba's site to see if that will even take that CPU ? ?
      Also with many laptops the CPU's are soldered in place which i wouldn't suggest you trying yourself unless you have above average soldering skills...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bmx485

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I use Yahoo..
        « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
        HI patio,
         No it will fit no problem. I checked both with Toshiba and Intel . That's not a problem. I'm just wondering how the north and south bridges work. I read an article from another member and it tells alot about them. I am just one to look into all parts on a computer. Like the cache, bridges, FSB<BSB etc. How the transfer the data and the speeds at what they do. Its fascinating to know all the components and their workings. Thanks for the answer .
        Bmx485