Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-Rom has gone mad  (Read 2552 times)

ahmed_refaat21

CD-Rom has gone mad
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:53:46 AM »
I purchased Windows Vista (on four CDs, not a DVD version) and installed it on the computer as my only operating system. After installing it, I found that the CD-Rom drive is not read, such that it is receiveng power from the power cable and data from the data, because when I right click on the CD-Rom drive and click on eject, the tray of the CD-Rom gets opened. I tested the CD-Rom on another computer which has Windows XP as an operating system and it was working. I decided to reinstall Windows XP again on my computer using a bootable CD but I found that during copying the files needed for installing windows, the computer has a problem of being unable to copy some files, particularly ".xml" files, thus the windows cannot be installed. The whole picture now is that I don't have any operating system on my computer  :'(. Of note, my CD-Rom is approximately 5-6 years old and I have been using it frequently and it is ASUS 52X

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: CD-Rom has gone mad
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »
    Did you format the HD inside of the win xp disc? 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »
    It could be having intermittent problems in other words it hasn't failed completely yet...
    I'd replace it instead of tearing my hair out on this one.
    They are relatively cheap these days.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »
      Sorry I got lost in your post as Patio said an what I was going to put is to just replace it. 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres