Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: getting video files on the net  (Read 13518 times)

mike_96_ws6

getting video files on the net
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:36:53 AM »
i want to put up some video files on the net but the site i use for pictures won't accept a file this large. how do i go about purchasing web space for this purpose and where do i start? i'm fairly new to computers so please go slow.  :)
here's the site i've been using for pictures:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/366214
thanks for the help,
Mike

Joleen

Re: getting video files on the net
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:32:26 AM »
Method 1: Pay someone to host your website.  You'll have to upload your movie files to their server.  Costs range greatly depending on the access you want, size of storage, and frills.  Another factor is how much downloading you're going to get.  For instance.. if the movies are only a few meg in size and only a few people are downloading then you'll be fine, but if you have large movies and everyone and their uncle are downloading then you'll be asked to increase your bandwidth (increasing your cost).

Method 2: Have a spare computer with something like XP or Win 2000.  Turn on the IIS fuctions (you'll have to do some reading up on this).  Create your website and connect it to the 'net.  Friends/family can connect to your system by typing in the IP address of that computer.  This method is nice since you're not renting space and you have direct access to when the info is available.  One issue you may have is ensuring it's up whenever you want, hosting companies will have backup systems in place to ensure your data is always available.  Bandwidth is limited to your ISP.

mike_96_ws6

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 04:52:18 PM »
my movies are 30 sec clips taken with my digital camera, 7621 kb for instance. i've got four of them and maybe about 10 more to come within the next year or so. and there won't be many viewers, generally just a few people from a message board i visit regularly.
also i don't have another computer so i'll need a host. for this i don't know where to look. any suggestions?
thanks for the reply.  :)
Mike
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 04:53:36 PM by mike_96_ws6 »

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 06:59:33 AM »
I'd check first with your Internet Service Provider.  Mine offers 10 megs of free space per email address and I'm allowed (I think) 7 addresses so I could have up to 70 Meg of space which is huge for simple HTML and images/small movies.  You could also try something like Yahoo or... hmm I've drawn a blank on the other that's very popular for free hosting, sorry.  Do a search for Free Web Host or Free Internet Host.

chuck hilikus

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:23:32 AM »
hey, i really good free host is www.web1000.com
you will be able to host your movies there

you need to know how to ftp and do basic html. if you dont know how, try a search on google or somthing.