Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: error message during setup  (Read 8645 times)

megaman

error message during setup
« on: January 28, 2005, 02:37:36 AM »
 :(have fdisked and formatted 3gb drive. when I reboot to start windows with cd rom support it does the normal things and specifies drive E is cd rom. so I type e:/setup and get the message 'bad command or file name' .... even trying e:\setup does the same. tried changing to another boot disk with no change in what happens. can anyone suggest a solution or should I throw away the HDD. it is installed in a P II/350 with 64mb pc100 ram.

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: error message during setup
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 05:45:32 AM »
    what operating system are you trying to install?If it is windows xp go to www.bootdisk.com and download the set of xp boot disc's and load from there.they are a set of 6 floppy disc's and will load all the drivers necessary to install the o/s.you must first make sure the install disc is a full install and not an upgrade and then choose the correct version of xp that you have (xp,xp home, xp pro , and then whichever svc pack included)They also have start up discs for win 2000 which is a three floppy setup.Tell us which system you are trying to setup and I can send you the correct link.This was the only way i could load xp onto an older system.
    WRWSS

megaman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 02:58:24 PM »
    I am trying to load 96SE or can load ME as have both original disks. Drive size is 3gb so XP is impractical (and my mum won't understand how to use it !! )

Adam_Kachwalla

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 06:55:48 PM »
    Can't you get a bigger HDD? (like 40GB or 250GB)

wrwss

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:02:27 PM »
      I'm guessing you meant 98se,if so then get the boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and load from here.that disk will also install any neccesary drivers needed
      WRWSS

Adam_Kachwalla

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 01:27:41 AM »
      Ever tried rebooting the PC in Safe Mode?

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 12:45:44 PM »
      try this>>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000569.htm   or alter the bios setup del key on boot...and boot from cdrom drive...done...

megaman

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:01:48 PM »
      perhaps I didn't explain what I want clearly.
      1. I am trying to install W98SE
      2. Once past fdisk and format stages the computer says 'your cd rom is drive E' .
      3. so I type e:/setup which I have done before many times
      4. then I get message 'bad command or file name'
      5. I cannot get into BIOS as far as I am aware.
      6. removed CMOS battery 'just in case it helped' !!!

It appears the PC will not recognise the CDROM and changing CD ROM's makes no difference. These is no need for a bigger HDD in a PC used for solitaire and letter writing
      Over to you guys now

wrwss

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »
        you are missing the drivers for the cd rom.check in the bios to make sure it is seen if not get a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and load from there.that disk will have the necessary drivers to read from the cd-rom.
        WRWSS