Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build problem, help! :(  (Read 2819 times)

toodlesoodles

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

New build problem, help! :(
    « on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
    Hey guys. Just build my sister a new PC.. here are the specs..

- Antec NSK 4480 Mini Tower Case (Silver) - 380W Earth Watts PSU
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E2200 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.20GHz
    - Samsung SH-S203D 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
    - Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H GeForce 7100 Micro-ATX (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    - Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
    - OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2

I'm no PC expert by any means, but I have built a PC (mine before), and other than incompatible RAM to begin with, I had no problems.

So the build went well and I booted the PC up and everything seemed to be fine. I put Windows XP in to install and setup began, but during the part where it checks your configuration at the start I got a blue screen (the 'Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer one) and so I reset the PC but now it just hangs on the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' screen.

I've tried a few things,

- Checked everything is connected properly and securely
    - Tried each stick of RAM on it's own... everytime I changed the RAM around the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' screen updates to 'Verifying DMI Pool Data ........... update success!' and then it just continues to hang
    - Resetting to optimized defaults/fail safe in the BIOS, and also resetting the CMOS
    None of this fixed the problem though.
    Next I put the hard drive from my  computer in to the new build and, sure enough, it booted up in to Windows XP first time. So I now know that, for some reason, I can't get past the DMI Pool Data screen because of the new hard drive.

However, another problem seems to have arisen. With the hard drive from my PC plugged in to this new one I can get to the desktop, sure, but after about 3 seconds the computer just resets. No error messages or blue screens, it just resets. Every time. I'm hoping that's just because of the hard drive's settings and drivers all confliction with the new computer's components though?
    Finally I tried putting the new hard drive in to my existing PC and, as I was hoping, I got the ''Verifying DMI Pool Data' error! So, it's the new hard drive then I guess? Not sure why it got past the DMI Pool Data stage the first time I turned it on, but whatever.

Unfortunately I don't have an empty hard drive (or one I can empty) to test in the new computer.
    So any other suggestions, or is my new hard drive just faulty and in need of a replacement?
    Thanks.

KLOR

Rookie
      Re: New build problem, help! :(
      « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
      Hi, when you turn the computer on does the hard drive come up on the Ide devises list?
      also make sure that its set to primary master to.
      Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

toodlesoodles

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
        It does yeah. Tried setting it to master too but with no luck. :(

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:54:32 PM »
        I would run the diagnostics on the CD that shipped with the drive...if you didn't get one they can be DLoaded from the drive manuf. site.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

toodlesoodles

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
          Unfortunately I can't get in to Windows to run anything from a CD.. :(

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
          Unfortunately I can't get in to Windows to run anything from a CD.. :(

The HDD diagnostics is a bootable CD and does not require Windows to be running...

toodlesoodles

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:46:31 AM »
            Probably needs to get past the DMI screen to boot from the CD though? Besides that,  there is no CD with my drive. :(

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
            No it won't.
            DLoad them from the HDD manuf. site on another machine and follow the instructions on creating/burning a bootable CD.