Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse has developed unwanted dropdown list if left button held  (Read 3586 times)

billybusrammer

I have an HP Pavillion PC, a few years old, with athlon 3200 processor. It was all working as I would like when recently the mouse started doing something it hadn't previously done, which is driving me nuts!

Previously when you held down the left mouse button it allowed you to continue moving the mouse and highlight a range of stuff (characters, area of a photo, etc) to then do with as you will (copy, etc)

Now, however, if you hold the left mouse button, it starts off doing the same thing, but very quickly it offers a drop down list (it appears to be different lists on different products). I don't want the list and, even worse, this action clears to the already highlighted areas I was trying to work with. The drop down list is pretty fast, so I now effectively no longer have the option to click hold, drag and release to highlight text, etc.

Anyone any ideas what has caused this and how I stop it?

I have looked at the mouse driver, internet options, an a bunch of other stuff, but can't find anything. Hopefully it is a 2 second fix if you know where to look.

I can still highlight text, using the control button and the mouse, but it is far less convenient than a mouse only option.

Thanks for any help.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Mouse has developed unwanted dropdown list if left button held
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:01:52 AM »
Check to see if someone has pranked you and changed the mouse orientation!
Start > control panel > classic view if not already > mouse > right handed

:)

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Mouse has developed unwanted dropdown list if left button held
    « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:26:35 AM »
    A list of products you say?
    Could be spyware.
    I recommend you go through the steps below just to be safe.
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)