Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't boot from windows disk  (Read 2112 times)

dubhghaill

Topic Starter

Starter

can't boot from windows disk
    « on: April 20, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
    I had a problem, which was unresolved (computer freezes after 1 min of being on in normal or safe mode, or just at the log in screen) and it became apparent that I would have to repair windows using the original disk.  I put the disk in and restarted the machine, was told windows was going to boot from the disk, then after 1 min like before, while still loading from the windows disk (an actual copy at that) it froze. Windows itself has not even started, but was still in the loading phases.  How can I then repair windows?
    Oh and I'm pentium 4, 512 ram, windows xp (up to date), 256+ G of memory and 60G's free

cryhelp

Hopeful
    • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
      Re: can't boot from windows disk
      « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
      Did you try system restore when this problem first started and if so what happened.  Sounds like corrupted file to me.
      "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

cryhelp

Hopeful
        « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
        Oh yeah do you have a boot up disk and if so have you tried it.  You can download one from:support.microsoft.com/KB/314503 -
        "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

cryhelp

Hopeful
          « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »
          I just noticed you were on earlier today.  Did you follow those instructions?  If so what were the results?