Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot even after clean install  (Read 2236 times)

ellyjobell

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer will not boot even after clean install
    « on: April 23, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
    My computer got to the point where it would not even boot.  I did not have anything vital on it, so I reformatted the device and reinstalled the OS, Windows XP Pro SP2.  That did not clear it up.  I then cleared the cmos, just in case the problem was there.  that didnt do it either.

My computer gets to the XP loading page , the bar scrolls a couple times, then the screen shuts down, and the HD winds down.  It will start up, if I start it from the OS CD.  Another odd thing it does is replace letters.  In BIOS and in any DOS like lettering the computer uses, random words are mispelled.   for example, exit will be spelled eqit.

My motherboard is a GeForce 6100-m9 with an athelon processor and a nvidia 8600 series graphics card.  its a setup Ive had for some time with no problem.  I did have a trojan a while back, but Im suprised it would survive a reformat.

Thank you for any help.  Ive tried everything I can think of

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer will not boot even after clean install
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
    Replace the CMOS battery...part # CR 2032 available almost anywhere.
    Make sure the machine is unplugged to do this.
    Then DLoad and run MemTest to test the RAM...let it run a few hours...
    Any errors at all and you have a bad stik of RAM.
    Also travel to your hard drive manuf. site and DLoad and run their diagnostics. Use the file to create a bootable CD.

These 3 steps will eliminate 3 different culprits and we'll go from there...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "