Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Your URL will only work without the “www”.  (Read 13396 times)

jeff57

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Your URL will only work without the “www”.
    « Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
    I have just clicked on the link sent me by someone who veiwed my website via Microsoft Live Small Business and it took me stright there.  But when I type www.BenidormINFO.co.uk in ether Google or Yahoo, it cannot find my website.  Why is this.   

Am i supposed to register my website with google & yahoo

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
    when I type www.BenidormINFO.co.uk in ether Google or Yahoo, it cannot find my website.  Why is this.   
    Because, as you've said, your website does not work with www.  That's the obvious answer here.

I have just clicked on the link sent me by someone who veiwed my website via Microsoft Live Small Business and it took me stright there. 
    Took you straight to http://benidorminfo.co.uk/default.aspx, right?  So, what does not prove?  Nothing. 

jeff57

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »
      I have just clicked on the link for my website, that someone sent me from Microsoft Small Live Business and it took me stright to tmy website.  But when I type www.BenidormINFO.co.uk in ether Google or Yahoo, it cannot find my website.  Why is this.   

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
      That would be because google and yahoo don't know about your site yet. You can register your site with them and it will show up.
      I think you're confusing the purpose of google and yahoo. People don't usually type in a full website address when they're searching for it. If I knew the address, I wouldn't search for it, I would just type it in the address bar. If I didn't know the address, I would use the name of the company running the site or some keywords.
      Or maybe I'm just confused by your question... :)

jeff57

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
        me to, so how do I contact to sort this out

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 12:01:57 PM »
        I don't really see a problem with your website or web address. It seems to be acting fine. The lack of www doesn't really matter.
        All I can see that you would need to do is register your site with the popular search engines to get it to show up on searches. Check out this page: http://www.computerhope.com/promote.htm

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
        « Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »
        www is World Wide Web, which is a part of the Internet.  You don't have a Word Wide web page, but you do have an Internet page.  It's all good.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

jeff57

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
          I understand what your saying now.  Took a bit for the penny to drop, but feel I can sort it out now.  If not I will be back, thank for your ihelp here guys.

Cheers Jeff 

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
          Just another bit of info here.  Some site can be accessed with or without www.  For example, http://www.hosanna-lutheran.org/ and http://hosanna-lutheran.org/ bring up the same site.  But, to do this, it has to be enabled through options in the web server control panel. 

See, as I've mentioned before, you're using a user-friendly approach to publishing and updating a website.  Thus, you don't have access to the full control of some aspects of web design that experienced web developers usually have.  But, as michaewlewis and Aegis have said, "The lack of www doesn't really matter" and "It's all good."

Now, I guess you might still feel that it matters because you feel that some people might try using the www prefix to access your site and then give up when it does not appear.  If that's the case, I don't know whether you can change this so that your URL works with www via the method/system you're using for your website.  That's why I suggested http://myofficelivecommunity.com/discuss/forums/ in a previous post.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
          when I've tried inserting the www in front of his address, it just redirects to the site... Is it not doing that for the rest of you?

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 12:47:46 PM »
          Oh, yeah, you're right michaewlewis, it does.  I'm in the habit of copying and pasting domain names in to my web browser address box and hitting Ctrl/Enter, which automatically adds the www prefix but also puts a .com at the end.  Obviously, that won't work in this case; the .com makes it an invalid address.  My bad.