Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replaceing Video Card  (Read 3284 times)

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Replaceing Video Card
    « on: May 18, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »
    I currently have a Emachine T1842 with a 40GB hardrive and a second hardrive 20GB's I have 512 of ram in it and currently my video card is installed on the motherboard. I wanna transfer all my home movies to DVD I've heard bad reviews about Dazzel and other video converters I thought it best just to get a video card with an S video output and plug my VCR into that though a S video cable. Currently I'm looking at video cards at best buy and circut city I dont know witch one would be best I'm on a budget around 60 dollars I dont really wanna spend more than that. My other problem too is installing it I understand you can put them in AGP slots PCI and PCI-E. Then I read about how I'd have to take the old one out being that mine is on the motherboard couldnt I just uninstall it and leave it in their and put in my new one into whatever slot it goes into. Also does it work like a sound card you just pop it in and its plug and play ready to go I've seen pictures of Grapichs cards with cords on them being plugged into somthing maybe on the motherboard I suppose? I need better insight into this could somone answer some of my questions and explain to me what I would need to do if I did buy a grapichs card please and thank you.

brett74

Apprentice

Re: Replaceing Video Card
      « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:46:59 PM »
      for a video card you would want to go with either agp or pci-E but it depends on what your motherboard supports.

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »
        yes but is their one i can just stick in the slot install a disk and it will work

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
        I'd have someone you know who is knowledgeable about desktops over to take a look at what that board will take and maybe walk you thru the selection and installation process...
        There would be no reason to leave the old card in there.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
        I'd have someone you know who is knowledgeable about desktops over to take a look at what that board will take and maybe walk you thru the selection and installation process...
        There would be no reason to leave the old card in there.

Except in his case, where it is integrated :P. Rather rockstar might need to disable the onboard video when installing a video card appropriate for his Motherboard.

yes, with Video cards rockstar, (ideally) you can generally just follow these steps:

1. Uninstall old video drivers.
        2. Remove & replace old video card (if applicable, or just install new card)
        3. reboot
        4. run drivers from included CD. Afterward card should work with it's features. Could also run updated driver installer found on manufacturers web site.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
          I understand that their would be no reason to keep the old video card in their if I put another one in their but would it hurt anything if I just left the video card on the motherboard. Then install the new one and if I have problems just install drivers for the old one if somthing were to go wrong?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
          The conflict in terms here is self-inflicted.
          You mentioned a video card. If in fact you don't have one it doesn't need to be removed.
          Obviously it stands to reason that if it's onboard video you wouldn't want to remove that unless you're in the market for a new motherboard...

This is why details and terminology are important.
          I still suggest following the advice i first posted so it doesn't cost more than you bargained for.
          Best of Luck and keep us posted...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
          No, it won't hurt anything to disable the on-board video:

Except in his case, where it is integrated :P. Rather rockstar might need to disable the onboard video when installing a video card appropriate for his Motherboard.

yes, with Video cards rockstar, (ideally) you can generally just follow these steps:

1. Uninstall old video drivers.
          2. Remove & replace old video card (if applicable, or just install new card)
          3. reboot
          4. run drivers from included CD. Afterward card should work with it's features. Could also run updated driver installer found on manufacturers web site.
          (second quote removed *doh*)

It might be wisest to follow that advice, rather then risk ruining something.
          « Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:20:09 PM by BC_Programmer »
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:27 PM »
            alright i mean I understand what your saying thanks