Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP pro dislikes phone Modems...  (Read 25166 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows XP pro dislikes phone Modems...
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »
Have you thoroughly read thru the Repair Install list provided and do you feel confident enough about pursuing that option ? ?
It sounds a bit daunting at first but if you have a good backup strategy beforehand in a worst case scenario you would be looking at a clean install of XP and having to re-install all your programs...
In a best case scenario the Repair Install would retain all your data and apps and hopefully fix the issue...

The other thing i hadn't considered is that are both these modems internal ? ?
Let me know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
    It is multiboot with XP pro (SP2) and win2k (SP4).

I've an internal phone modem 'Motorola SM56', which cannot be installed in XP, whereas it works normal in win2k.

Its working fine in Win200Pro from another partition in my computer.

I've tested it in XP on another computer and no problems there.

If modem works in win2k in the same physical computer (and PCI slot), then there is nothing physically wrong with the modem. Also confirmed by swapping modems as you did on May 22. Also the drivers from: http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm (Patio's link, post 2) are good to go for XP (OS Windows Vista/XP/2K/Me/98)

This confirms that there is some problem with the operating system and nothing wrong with the modem.

I agree with you. The modem is OK. The OP is confused! (perhaps corrupted is the proper description, but I like to think of it as confusion.)

Did you try re-installing the MBoard drivers ? ?

Also, I've reinstalled all the drivers, which are in the mobo CD.

It still could be related to the MBoard drivers. The drivers on the CD are old. Download the latest drivers from the MBoard website and update, before the reinstall. Elitegroup PM800-M2]

It looks like, the troubleshooting is coming to an dead end. If the problem is not resolved, I might go in for reinstalling the XP.

That might be the best option at this point. Try the repair install first, if you want. It may very well work, but ...  it may not. From my experience, it is sometimes easier to wipe the slate clean and start over. Windows has a bad habit of not removing all the old registry entries when software or hardware is removed from a system. Sometimes those stray entries can really plague you.

Short of the radical stem of manually editing the registry, or re-installing, have you tried a good registry cleaner. I haven't used one lately, so I don't have one to recommend.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
    No offense intended but a registry cleaner would be my last suggestion at this point...if there is a needed service that will not install no amount of mucking with the Registry will cure this.

The least painful path at this point is
    A) Repair Install
    B) Purchase a new external modem.
    C) A clean install of the OS.

jawanda56

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
    The other thing i hadn't considered is that are both these modems internal ? ?
    Let me know.
    Both are internal modems.

Thanks Patio and Ilmeyer for the comments and suggestions.

The least painful path at this point is
    A) Repair Install
    B) Purchase a new external modem.
    C) A clean install of the OS.

I'll start with Option A and post the outcome right here.

jawanda56

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
      This may be off the subject, but why is the screen on this topic sooooooooooooooooo wide?

Some time back I had a topic do this when I had goofed up a quote with a back slash instead of a fwd slash. The previews look OK, but the posts themselves are damaged goods. The problem started somewhere on page 2, as page 1 & 3 are OK if viewed by themselves.

The modem issue may or may not be registry related, but it's certainly not hardware. I still say try the latest motherboard drivers. The original drivers may not be doing the job.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
      It is because of the long link in Post #22...
      Refresh your browser and see if it goes away.
      Meanwhile i'll adjust the link...

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
        It is because of the long link in Post #22...
        Refresh your browser and see if it goes away.
        Meanwhile i'll adjust the link...

Still wide screen at 5:14 PM EST.

Edited 5/26 @ 5:35 AM EST: (Still wide screen)

Noting is wrong in Reply # 20. ( My mistake.  :() The problem is in reply #27.
        It is caused by the numerous long lines(without spaces) in the log file. You can see it in the following quote. It previews OK if the long lines are broken with spaces, but makes the screen way too wide if unbroken.

Before I repair XP and loose all the updates, Please have a look at my setupapi log:

pci\ven_127a&dev_1003&subsys_b0bc0e11&rev_01,pci\ven_127a&dev_1003&subsys_b0bc0e11,pci\ Space Addedven_127a&dev_1003&cc_070000,pci\ven_127a&dev_1003&cc_0700
        #-018 Searching for compatible ID(s):

pci\ven_11d4&dev_1805&subsys_180511d4&rev_00,pci\ven_11d4&dev_1805&subsys_180511d4,pci\ Space Addedven_11d4&dev_1805&cc_078000,pci\ven_11d4&dev_1805&cc_0780
        #-018 Searching for compatible ID(s):

pci\ven_11d4&dev_1805&rev_00,pci\ven_11d4&dev_1805,pci\ven_11d4&cc_078000,pci\ven_11d4&cc Space Added_0780,pci\ven_11d4,pci\cc_078000,pci\cc_0780

HELP! Nathan HELP!  ;)
        Any chance you can adjust this behavior???
        « Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:35:52 AM by llmeyer1000 »

jawanda56

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »
        OK, the problem of Modem not getting installed is solved. This is what I did:

Used the repair option after booting from XP CD. All went normal, but while installing, restart ended in BSOD.

Error: SCSIPORT.SYS, address: FT3A6F79, Base at: F739B000, Datestamp: 41107b4b

I was able to get past this by selecting debugging mode and repair completed. But Debugging mode was not very useful and BSOD reappeared little later during booting. It was starting normal in safe mode, in which tried to install Modem and it got installed as normal.

Finally decided to install the XP again after formatting hard drive. This installation was trouble free, no more blue screens, and modem working normal. This also resolved the Bluetooth modem issue.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Sorry about the wide screen, which is due to setup log posted in my reply # 20.

jawanda56

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »
        Glad you got it all sorted out!

Thanks for informing us!

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"