Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3d-games pausing for extended periods  (Read 6647 times)

brett74

Apprentice

Re: 3d-games pausing for extended periods
    « Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »
    I agree with patio. But also the 5500 does not come with a temp diode that measures the temp on it. I have that same card myself and it does not have a temp sensor on it.I would dload pc wizard 2008 for free or also everest which is also free and those apps will tell you everything especially everest.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
    But also the 5500 does not come with a temp diode that measures the temp on it.

That is super weak. Blast u Nvidia!

I didn't mention the OC before because, Silly me, I thought since it came that way I was fine. Since I can't really see the temps of anything rather then the HD for some reason, I'll try underclocking it right now- problem being I'm not exactly sure how much BFG tech overclocked it. I'll look it up, of course. If it fixes the problem I will feel like a total goof for not trying it to begin with.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »
    Wow, that worked. I am so happy. But feel like a total goof   :D

So not only does patio post insightful pictures, he's also insightful himself!

(let's ignore for the moment that I had already planned to underclock the card, and pretend it was patio's idea all along)

I underclocked the GPU to the stock 270 as opposed to the factory default 290, I ran the quake 3 timedemo, and then started a game and just sat there for a while (would pause before). I believe I sat there for at least 5 minutes (I know, I know, not necessarily cut and dried proof the problem is gone, but it happened a lot sooner.

This proves that it is indeed the GPU, which for some reason I didn't even suspect (on account of the clever card-restarting drivers that don't even post a darn Event Viewer message like, "The Video subsystem was restarted" or something.)
    This just raises a few more questions though-

Since it is obviously GPU related, it still isn't safe to say that the fan is working as it should- but my computer is a Dell dimension 4400, and opens in a clamshell fashion. So I haven't actually seen it spin, at least in this computer. I had the same card installed (for a few minutes) in my older AMD K6-2 computer, and the fan did spin. I will have to check very soon (at least if it happens after a longer interval) to see what is going on inside the case.

Should I contact BFGtech about this? I mean, they do advertise the OC part, and if I had to underclock to fix it...

Anyway, for now I'm going to do some further "tests" (play some games :P), and see if it happens with some more graphics demanding games, like NFS:Underground  or HP2. I will of course post back here :) just hope framerates don't suffer too much. probably 1-2 at the most loss I'm guessing- 20Mhz couldn't possibly be worth that much!

Anyway, I'm getting closer to solving it, so thanks to everybody who helped me out here!

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.