Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless network  (Read 2366 times)

miller4plusmore

Wireless network
« on: February 04, 2005, 02:27:09 PM »
I'm trying to get some information on setting up a wireless network in my home.  I am purchasing a laptop with a built-in 802.11g wireless capability.  I will only be running the one computer in my home, but I would like to be able to use it wireless.  What kind of equipment do I need to do this?  Please be as specific as possible.  I know a little bit about computers, but this is a new experience for me.  Thanks in advance for any help.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Wireless network
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 02:55:39 PM »
    miller4plusmore.......You may do well to talk to a tech at your ISP re a wireless connection .......

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 03:27:42 PM »
    Well.... What you will need is a router... And a Wireless card or antenna... It depends on if you will be using the wireless connection on a Desktop, or Laptop...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

miller4plusmore

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »
    Flame,

I will be using a laptop.  It has a 54g 802.11 b/g WirelessLAN.  Does this give you an idea of what I'm needing.  Can you be specific about what kind of router I would need.  Are there any specific brands that are better?  Thanks.

Michelle  

Nigel

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 04:40:13 PM »
    Michelle
    You can either get a Modem that includes a router or if you already have a modem you can just get a router.
    There are loads of different makes on the market and it depends on what you want to spend and the features you want.
    Its worthwhile looking looking at reviews of different routers to get an idea of what they do. This link shoud provide some more info about routers, and how they work.

hhttp://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 04:51:44 PM »
    Well.... If you go to a computer store, look for a router there.... I am a fan of Linksys personally... Now, when you see the router that you want, look at teh specs, and make sure that it is 802.11g compatible... If it says this, then you should have NO problems... Also... You would want to see Nigel's link about how to set-up the network... You SHOULD be all set!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]