Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Monitor Compatible?  (Read 5842 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dual Monitor Compatible?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »

So wait, is this something that's on the motherboard, not on the back panel? If it is then what would they need to get it working?

Yes- It will be a set of pins on the motherboard (I don't know the layout) but they will likely be labelled "VGA-2" or "TV-OUT" or something similiar- they'd essentially just be the same type of pins used for jumpers. In order to use it they would need a short cable that plugs into the header on one end and would get mounted onto the case to provide a "New" TV-out port.

Actually I may have mixed my terminology here- I think the cable that makes it accessible is called the Header Cable, and the pins on the motherboard are just called a header plug. (can somebody clear this up?)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
    Ok, even further extension now.

So i got a video card. Actually a guy gave it to me. So i got a fairly good video card for nothing. It's a GeForce 6800 GS. The only thing that i realised is that it needs extra power to run. I do have one extra power cable, except it only has power to three of the four sockets so i wasn't sure if this would work. (When i get home i'll test it, but seeing as i have my doubts...).
    So, assuming it doesn't, is there anything to do about this? Like, can i get a cord that will split the power between two devices? Or is that a bad idea? Will I have to get a whole new power supply?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »
    Will I have to get a whole new power supply?

Yes. That would work best.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
      « Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »
      Alright, so i went looking for a power supply, but first off it's a shuttle computer, so the right type of power supply isn't as common. (Included pic)
      Even further than that, though, i asked a guy at the source and he said that the graphics card requires a 350W power supply. Now this was before i started looking at power supplies, so i didn't realise that that doesn't seem to exist for a shuttle!
      Does this mean i can't run the video card on my shuttle? And why does the video card require 350W in the first place?

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]