Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toyota Prius  (Read 18848 times)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Toyota Prius
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
So,....What is a golf cart ? :o :o :o :o Fine new invention.

Fred Flintstone will love it.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
I wouldn't take an observation on dead Prius's or bad drivers in inclement weather as an objective review on how a car performs.
I also would'nt compare a hybrid vehicle to a '79 Olds more than i would compare a Quad-Core Pentium to a 386 machine even if it had an onboard math co-processor installed...
This sounds like an apple and oranges comparison along with a few sour grapes thrown into the discussion...

The above is merely opinion on my part....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:12:19 AM »
I can't even fit half the groceries one person would need for a month in that thing, let alone myself. I'll stick too my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham with its emission less 1979 Oldsmobile 3.8L V6

You Americans make me laugh when you spout all that dumb motorhead stuff. Screw the planet. eh?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
I wouldn't take an observation on dead Prius's or bad drivers in inclement weather as an objective review on how a car performs.
I also would'nt compare a hybrid vehicle to a '79 Olds more than i would compare a Quad-Core Pentium to a 386 machine even if it had an onboard math co-processor installed...
This sounds like an apple and oranges comparison along with a few sour grapes thrown into the discussion...

The above is merely opinion on my part....

That's what I was thinking.... but you're a little more tactful. ;)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
You Americans make me laugh when you spout all that dumb motorhead stuff. Screw the planet. eh?

Yes, and we thank everyone else for subsidizing our lifestyle!  ;)

(It's an unwritten rule that if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny, but I hope you understand I'm attempting irony.   :o)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
So,....What is a golf cart ? :o :o :o :o Fine new invention.

Fred Flintstone will love it.

My point exactly, If i wanted fuel saving, I'd get me a motor cycle, which I intend too do later on. I'm not using a freaking computerized golf cart as a primary source of transport.

My question is this; In the event of a natural disaster, where there is no power too charge your car, what do you do? What do you do if your injured, can make it too the hospital, but require a car too get there and your automobiles batteries are dead, and you wont last long enough for the ambulance too get there?

As of current, having an internal combustion engine is the best option in almost all cases, around here, its too mountainous for that car, sure, I'd much rather be running a clean fuel than gas, as long as its as reliable as gasoline, or more so, and too the tree hugger here, I'll soon be converting my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham too Ethanol, don't worry, stuff runs clean. Too put it simply, I'm old fashioned, I hate most newer automobiles. I like a vehicle I can depend on. My car has not been started in nearly five years, but with a fresh tank of gas, and a fresh battery, it'd fire right up.

Let me tell you this, they tried electric cars in the 70's, my mother and aunt rented one, they HATED that car, technology has changed, but electricity stays the same, inevitably, hydrogen, and electricity are illogical power sources for automobiles.

Logically, gasoline is the only reliable choice as of current, I like too be prepared if/when things happen, rather than live thinking nothing will. So, for now, I'll just get my cutlass road worthy and stick too it, drive it until the 3.8L V6 kicks it, then rebuild it too support ethanol.

And on a final note, patio, you really don't get my point. My point IS just what you stated, there is no comparing the engine that drives my car; the 231 cubic inch 3.8L Oldsmobile V6 built in 1979 too an electric automobile because when you come down too it, twenty years from now, my car will still be running, that electric car will have been recycled into things a hundred times over if not more, I prefer what is proven, durable, and what is logical. That, and of course, what I can work on.

Oh, and don't confuse my engine for the Buick fireball motor, that is a common mistake in history, and it is completely untrue that the Buick division of general motors created the 231, Chevrolet created the 231, not Buick, and no matter what, General Motors out sells all of your little ricer cars running about, they are the number one automobile sales company in the world.

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Oh, and don't confuse my engine for the Buick fireball motor, that is a common mistake in history, and it is completely untrue that the Buick division of general motors created the 231, Chevrolet created the 231, not Buick, and no matter what, General Motors out sells all of your little ricer cars running about, they are the number one automobile sales company in the world.

A petrolhead as we say around here.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
Interesting to me that electric (and steam) cars were the first to be invented...

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:11 AM »
..... and now we're trying to go back to it. History repeats itself. Who knows, maybe in 30 years, we'll be back to gasoline.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
No, we need to use renewable sources for our transportation needs.  We need the petrochemicals for plastics, etc.  We need better public transportation, in most cases.  It's a shame the government did nothing, decades ago,  when the auto industry was allowed to buy out public transport systems and shut them down.

I've not talked to a single Prius owner who was unhappy with their car.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:52:09 PM by Aegis »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 01:47:06 PM »
Electricity the last time i checked is not a renewable power source...somewhere some coal is being burned to produce it.

I walk most everywhere except to my Customers which are normally too far.
Bicycle if feasible and or public transportation which is so unreliable it should be outlawed or rebuilt from scratch...

But before i get labeled i also blow thru fair weather in a convertible whenever possible...sometimes with the AC full blast just because i can and i could care less what kind of gas mileage i get.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
A Prius is much cheaper to run than a similar size petrol ("gasoline") fuelled car, but then so is a diesel. Both will save a considerable amount of money over (say) 3 years.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
No, I grant you that electricity is not renewable; or it is renewable to the extent of the method by which it is generated.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
it's sort of renewable around my part of the world. All of the electricity I get comes from dams.

Dias de verano

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
it's sort of renewable around my part of the world. All of the electricity I get comes from dams.

"White Coal"