Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU and Fans Question  (Read 3124 times)

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
CPU and Fans Question
« on: February 07, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
I have a old 5 year old PC that runs great. But i wanted to upgrade my CPU, the max my computer can reconise for cpu is 850Mhz. I brought one but... the fan doesn't fit lol. So i was wondering if i can use my old computer fan to cool it down? The old fan is smaller but it doesnt seem i have any options

Current Computer Setting
Intel (R) Celeron @ 500Mhz
Intel (R) Video card 8MB
PC100 RAM 64MB
Maxtor 12.6 +25.5GB

If you know anything about this then please reply.

Also I do not know how pentium II processers work they look like they dont have a fan so i dont know how to snap them in place lol. Please note I only have experiences with 5 year old and older PC's,

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CPU and Fans Question
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »
    Windows98........you will have to get a heat sink and fan that are designed for the processor you have bought .......
    The best way to improve the performance would be to increase the Ram .......64mb isnt a whole lot ......

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 09:09:42 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: CPU and Fans Question
    « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:42:16 PM »
    The processor did come with a fan but the problem is it doesn't fit. The fan is big but thats not the problem. The problem is that dang thing that you use to snap it on to hold it on the CPU, its to short (lol) So is it a good idea to keep it 500Mhz or is there a special fan u need. I have a small fan that came with a 466mhz CPU