Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stuck in DOS  (Read 4376 times)

hancock85

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: stuck in DOS
    « Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
    no i know it's not it was used earlier and it is the original disk Do you have any other suggestions

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
    no i know it's not it was used earlier and it is the original disk Do you have any other suggestions

Sorry you don't like my answers. How do you know the disk isn't faulty?

If...

1. You have set the BIOS up to boot from the CD-ROM drive
    2. The disk is a good bootable Windows install disk
    3. The CD drive is working properly
    4. The computer motherboard etc is working OK

then it should boot up.

You will find that one of these 4 things is the problem.

hancock85

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »
      i will work on it later and let you know but as of now everything is the way you say. I know that the disk is good. I just can't get anything to boot in dos and i can't get the computer out of dos mode. I do appreciate all you help and if you think of anything else please let me know and i will try it.

NCwill

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
        Ok try this:

1) turn off your computer
        2) unplug it from the wall
        3) remove the battery from the motherboard (should be a silver disk looking thing about the size of a nickel assuming you are American)
        4) keep the battery out for a few min and put it back in
        5) plug in computer and turn it on
        6) On the very first screen you should see a message somewhere on the screen that says "Hit (something) to enter setup" it might be at the top or bottom, if you do not see it, reboot your computer and try again.
        7) Assuming you saw the message and hit the correct button you should see some sort of bios screen.  It could be blue or grey.
        8) Find the option for Boot order, this could be under a menu that says advanced options...I am not sure so you may have to look around.
        9) Make note of the current order, and change it so the CD rom is the first and if possible the ONLY thing to boot from.
        10) usually it says somewhere on the bios screen to press a button (usually F10) to save changes and exit.  In either case SAVE CHANGES and let the computer reboot.
        11) If the CD is in the CD-rom drive you should hear it "spin up" and the drive light should come on and the computer should boot from the CD-rom.
        12) let us know what happens.

If it still goes to dos, there is something wrong with the disk, or your CD rom drive, or possibly your motherboard.  It is possible your mother board (depending on how old it is) cannot boot from a CD and requires a floppy drive to boot from.

hancock85

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
          thank you so much for not giving up on me. I am home now but i will stop by my parents house again hopefully tomorrow but on Friday at the latest and i will try again. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to boot from cd when it has run cd's before and came with a cd player in it. I will be sure to keep you up-to-date. thanks again for all your help.
          Heather

Dias de verano

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
          the size of a nickel assuming you are America

Is everyone on here American except me?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner