Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will NOT Bootup!  (Read 35355 times)

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Will NOT Bootup!
    « Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »
    If I remember correctly, I have the C drive which is around 100gb and then I installed a 200 or 250gb drive and partitioned that off.  So I have C:
    D:  E:  &  F:  Pluss my two CD Roms  Plus I have an external hard drive that is I think 500gb.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »
      I am wondering if I can install windows on the external and be able to boot up from that???  Then if posibile, fix the old windows.????

What do you think?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
        Did you go to lunch??

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
        I'm trying to make this as easy as I can for you.

The best thing to do would be to remove the problem drive.  Jumper the drive as a slave drive...and put it in a working computer.

Use that computer to scan the drive for infections and other problems.  Once you have done that...remove it from the computer...set the jumpers back to what they were before...and then try to boot.

If you still have the same issues...then the only other thing I can recommend you do is reformat this drive and reinstall Windows on it.  Unless the drive is toast...in that case...replace the drive or use another one for your operating system.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
          That's not easy for me.

I don't have access to another computer to do that kind of exam.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
            I should have added:
            I can use this computer to talk with you, but not to tear it apart and install my drive. 

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
              Is there a way to install windows on the second drive on the infected computer?  And then fix the C drive?

I don't have much confidence in tearing open my computer anyway.  It has been several years since I have done anything like that and don't want to get in over my head.  (as I already am)

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2008, 02:05:46 PM »
              Installing an operating system on an external USB drive and using it to boot into Windows...is not entirely impossible...however...it is not recommended, either.  Since it is known that this may not work at all...I have read articles where others have gotten it to work, but only on select machines using select USB drives.

It requires a lot of patience and tweaking to get it to work, so I recommend you just follow my previous suggestion.

If you can't use the computer you're on now...to test the drive in question...then see if you can find another...or simply reformat the drive and reinstall Windows on it.

I really don't know what else I can tell you.  It would seem you're limited as to what you can do...so that limits me to what I can suggest to you.

Using another drive to install Windows on...updating it...making sure it has malware software on it...updated as well...and then scanning the drive may be more work then you really want to do.

Again...trying to save the data on this problem drive...is already probably moot since you've attempted a repair...and it failed.  Understand my point?  So why not just give up the ghost...reformat it...and reinstall the OS?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
                Because I'm a die hard fan of what I have put into my C drive.  All the work and programs I have on it can not be easily replaced.  Although the last time this happened to me I have started to d/l things onto the other drive so that I would be able to save some, hopefully most of what I had installed. 

Ok, what is involved to reformating? 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »
                Just to be on the safe side...

You do understand reformatting will wipe the hard drive clean...correct?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »
                  And what about my suggestion of installing it on the D drive?  What do you think about that?

Too much work, or is there still a chance the C drive can be fixed?  I'm taking you at what you tell me.  Since I don't have the knowledge you have, I am counting on you to give me the best advice.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »
                  Tell you what I'm going to do...

I've already given you the advice I think you should follow.  Again...it's my advice.  No one individual is perfect.

You can either choose to follow the advice I've already given you...or wait for someone else to respond to this thread.

I'm really sorry if I haven't been able to provide you with the support you think you deserve...but I want you to know that I have tried.

I do this because I want to...it makes me feel good when I know I have helped someone resolve the issue they were facing.  Sometimes this doesn't happen and we end up at a stalemate...or the problem just doesn't get resolved.

There are other options available to you.

You can take your drive to a company that specializes in data recovery...but expect to pay...it's not a cheap service...and you may be without the drive for a period of time.

You can take the computer to a repair center...and they can attempt a repair...but they will not be able to guarantee your data to be safe, either.

I for one have run into situations where I've lost important data...but I have since nipped that in the bud by continually backing up...and making sure I save and have a hard copy of everything important to me.  Just in case of a situation such as yours.

With all of the above being said...I will wait for you to make a decision...

In the meantime...someone else may reply...since it has only been you and I dominating this discussion...let's give someone else a shot at it...shall we?

I will continue to monitor this thread to see what others recommend to you.

All my best...

-Saviour

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »
                    So how would I go about installing windows on the D drive?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »
                      Oh,  and yes, I do know that formatting will wipe my c drive clean. 
                      And just to have that knowledge, what is involved?  I am assuming I just have to insert disk and let it do it's things as it did the first time?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
                        And here is a question for you.
                        What if I disconected the c drive and installed windows on the d drive and then reconected c and tried to fix it that way?
                        Is that possible?  And yes I understand your advice.  I have nothing against your advice. I'm just trying to figure another option, that's all.  I appreciate the help and in no way think it's out of line to suggest what your suggesting. 

I'm just saying, IF there is another way of doing it, I would like to have that opertunity.  Since you suggested I remove the c drive and install it on another computer, then what difference would it be to just do it on the same computer?  I wouldn't have to tear it all apart, hopefully.  I'm trying to see if I have any options here.  If not, then ok, I can see I have to reinstall.  But, if I reinstall and find out I could have done it different, then I've lost it all for nothing. 

And who know's, it might not even be able to be fixed even after all that.  I don't know, that's why I'm talking to you.  I'm just asking you to consider the options and not just the drastic solution of reinstallation. 

Thank you