Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will NOT Bootup!  (Read 35428 times)

brett74

Apprentice

Re: Will NOT Bootup!
    « Reply #75 on: June 02, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »
    your welcome saviour and me too

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
      Ok, I got sidetracked.

I ran webroot and there is NO spyware.  I haven't d/l avg or anything else yet.  Let me ask you this;

I have avg on the c drive.  Do i need to have it on the E also?  It's actually E instead of D.  But anyway,  I will have to go find it and d/l it if need be.  While I'm at it, do I need any malware?  Or anything else I can get now and install it all at once?

And thank you

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
      woodworks...

We also need to run Webroot in Safe Mode, as well.  Just to be sure...okay?

Do the same thing with the antivirus software you decide to install on the E drive.  Once the antivirus software is updated...run it in Safe Mode...and normally, as well...okay?

At this point...having the malware protection on the C drive isn't going to help us since it's the one we're troubleshooting.  It's the drive with issues...and we need to use the software on a working drive.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
        ok I'm lost

I went to a search and found avg but it d/l something called pc doctor. It only scanned the E drive and I see no way to change it.  Did I get the right thing? Am I supposed to d/l this and install and then boot up on the C drive?  I'm not sure what I'm doing.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
          Ok, you got any links I can go to in order to find what I need?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2008, 07:14:32 PM »
          Booting from your E drive...after boot...use your browser to navigate to this page:  http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Click the button to download AVG Free 8.0 and save it to your desktop.  Navigate to your desktop and locate the download.  Double-click it to start the installation process.  Once it is installed...make sure it is updated.  Once it is updated...boot into Safe Mode and do a complete system scan...this should include all drives...not just the C drive.

Let it do its thing as far as repair, delete quarantine.  Once it is done...boot into Windows from the E drive normally...and run a full system scan again.

Post our results...

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:12 PM »
            Ok, right now I am at c net downloading avg, but it's like I'm back to dial up.  It is slower then molassis.  It's just now at 30 %, so i don't know how long it will take.

Now do I need to get the anti virus now also?  And should I do a webroot sweep, or just the spyware? 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
            Wait a minute...

What are you downloading AVG spyware or antivirus?  I thought we weren't using Webroot right now.

We need to stay together here woodworks.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
              earlier I had said I got it installed and ran a sweep.  I don't really care if we use it or not, I'm just asking questions.  I'll do it however you want.  I think I'm d/l the antispyware but I'm not sure.
              I can't tell where it says.  I told you, I'm over my head.  I'm trying to do this as fast as I can because i don't want to be up all night trying to fix this.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
                No, it's the anti virus

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
                  earlier you told me to run webroot in save mode.  Do you still want me to do that after I run anti virus in save mode?  Or do you want me to d/l avg anti spyware and run that?  If I don't ask and get it straight, I'll get all messed up (more then I am now).

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
                  LOL!  Neither do I... ;D

The link I provided before was to AVG Free antivirus.  I'm assuming you're also downloading and installing AVG antispyware as well.

Once you have the both of them downloaded and installed...make sure they are updated.  Run full system scans in both Safe Mode and then normally...posting your results once you've completed all the scans in both modes...okay?

AVG antispyware is no longer available...sorry about that.  So...if you've already installed and ran Webroot in both Safe Mode and normally...then we should be good to go...after you run the antivirus scans...okay?

Also...give me the opportunity to reply before you keep asking me questions...okay?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:05 PM »
                    If I don't post the questions as I think of them, I forget them. 
                    That tells me why i can't find antispyware.

I did not run webroot in safe mode.  I haven't run anythng in save mode as of yet.

So this is what I'm going to do.  I have d/l antivirus and am now going to install it.  I need to shut everything down to do that.  After that I am going to reboot in safe mode and run both webroot and avg.  After this post, I will not get back on here until that is done, so I won't see your response to this post.  When I come back I should have the results of what they found, if anything.

Later

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
                    Make sure you update both Webroot and Avg before you run the scans...or they won't be of any use.

Later...

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Kraków my love :)
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    • Computer: Specs
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #89 on: June 02, 2008, 08:23:22 PM »
                    I need some refreshing info.
                    We have:
                    drive #1 - C
                    drive #2 - partitioned into D, E, and F
                    Second Windows installation went to drive E, correct?
                    What actually happened with repairing drive C? Why was it abandoned?
                    Is drive C readable from Windows installation on drive E?
                    If so, why not to retrieve all data from C, and format it?