Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need wireless internet advice  (Read 2317 times)

haus_kat

need wireless internet advice
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:30:18 AM »
I've had a Linksys router for several years with no problem and I really like it. It's a wireless G router. My notebook computer uses a wireless card to connect to the internet via the router. I knew little about this stuff and my husband didn't either. He bought the wireless card and router the guy at the store recommended and it turned out the wireless card was wireless B but it was compatible with the router and I never had a problem with it for several years until recently when I noticed it started dropping the connection and I figured it must need replacing. I looked up some info on the wireless routers and cards and thought I might get a wireless G card since the router is wireless G and I read that's better if they're both the same and you'd get a faster connection. Well apparently not so. In the past I didn't know about the encryption, even though the router supports that, and so I had no WEP or WPA set up on my connection. The new wireless G card supports WPA so I set that up with the router and I switched the channel to channel 8 for broadcasting since I read it's better to not be on the common channel 6 if there are a lot of people in your area on that channel, because then you'd get a slower connection. Well I guess not a lot of people know about wireless security since all the neighbors around here are still broadcasting SSID and everyone's on channel 6 so that why I switched. I don't know if the new card is just a crappy card or what but I've never had more internet connection issues than I've had lately. It's a linksys brand card as well and is a wireless G card with "speed booster" but I swear my computer is actually running slower with this new card for some reason and the connection drops seemingly every other minute and pauses for about a minute and that cases the browser window to free too (not the computer just the browser window) for the same duration. It's completely frustrating. Everything I read on the wireless said wireless G is faster than B and that it was better to be on another channel because a lot of neighborhood traffic on the same channel would cause you to get a slow connection. I had no compatibility problems with my other card (also linksys brand) so I can't understand why this new card causes the computer to be slow now and seems to conflict with my browser. It also does not re-connect if the computer was on standby and I want to use the computer again. My old card would always automatically reconnect but this new card doesn't. I have to select to unplug the card and then take the card out of the slot and push it back in. Sometimes it will reconnect when I do that. Most times it will just instantly freeze the computer and I'll have to restart. So is this just a really sucky card or does setting up wireless security or changing the signal broadcast channel somehow cause a slower connection?

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: need wireless internet advice
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
    it would help if u gave a little more info:
    what type of laptop (brand Dell, Acer ?), OS u r running
    make sure your LT has or does not have a built in wireless.

haus_kat

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
    Oops! sorry. It's a Dell Inspirion 4150 laptop and running Windows 2000 Pro

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:01 AM »

Windows 2000 does not have the better networking facilities that Windows XP has. If your laptop can support it i would suggest uprading your windows version

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

Windows 2000 does not have the better networking facilities that Windows XP has. If your laptop can support it i would suggest uprading your windows version

This is simply not true...Win2K's neworking features are as robust as XP's.
      As a matter of fact it was one of it's selling points when 2K came out.

To be honest haus kat if you haven't had it that long i would be returning it for a warranty replacement...it shouldn't be slower than your old card.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

haus_kat

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
      I've been using Windows 2000 for years and did not have any internet connection problems until recently. The old card started dropping the connection (but not freezing the browser window) so I decided to replace it. Each of the cards came with their own installation software. My computer had actually had problems since installing the new card and it's software. I use Opera browser and it freezes every other minute now and additionally I've had internet explorer problems with the computer too. It seems that the active desktop is hanging for some reason and then really sucking up RAM. It never did that in the past but after I installed the car it's doing that now. When I go to open Adobe Photo software and then I find that program won't open and I know that IE is acting up again. I always have to restart teh computer. When I go to retstart I get the predictable error message about Internet Explorer not responding when I wasn't even using that program and then I when I restart the computer I find the active desktop error message and have to click the button to get the wallpaper back up. Sometime my computer is even freezing on start-up now too. I'm convinced the problems are due to that stupid card but I could not figure why it's causing issues. It's ironic that it's the "speed booster" model and yet the connection has never been slower. I never used anything other than Linksys cards but I'm thinking of just maybe getting a different brand card if there's a better brand. My laptop does not have built-in wi-fi and only has one USB port which is used for the USB drive cards etc already so I only have that one option for connecting to the internet.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »
      I wouldn't completely give up on Linksys as the chance remains you may have just gotten a faulty card.
      Do you have the option of returning it ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "