Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a Norton Ghost Expert!  (Read 3660 times)

JohnB

Need a Norton Ghost Expert!
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:31:25 AM »
Hi;
I've recently purchased a new CD-RW drive which is a Sony. Two years ago I bought Norton Systemworks 2003 Pro which has Norton Ghost.  I tried this program with my old CD-RW (Acer) and I couldn't use it because the device didn't support the program so when I got my Sony I figured I'd try the program again and it worked!  So I was finally able to do something I've been wanting to do for years; Create a restore set for my computer with all the basic software and configurations to save me time getting my PC back up and running after a hard drive crash.  In order to make the set I reformatted my current HD and "rebuilt" the drive contents how I wanted it. Then I used Ghost to make an image on a set of bootable CD-Rs.  My concern is for some stupid reason I partitioned my HD into two equal size drives.  When I tested the set it completely recovered everything but I found that even if I partition to a single drive using the utility that came with my HD the set that I made will only set up a double partition.  I don't have a problem with this except that my current 15 GB hard drive may be failing soon.  I have a replacement HD ready to go but it is a 40GB.  To any Ghost experts out there: Will there be a problem installing this restore set onto the new 40GB hard drive considering that it was made splitting a 15GB partition?  Thanks in advance for any help.
                    John Bowen

Computer_Commando

Re: Need a Norton Ghost Expert!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »
...Will there be a problem installing this restore set onto the new 40GB hard drive considering that it was made splitting a 15GB partition? ...

No problem at all.

When you image backup, you can select to backup entire drive or each individual partition.  If you select the entire drive, the image will contain the partitions.  You can choose to restore the entire drive or just one partition.  When you restore to a larger drive, Ghost will automatically choose new partition size, which you can change to suit your needs.

I do this from a DOS boot disk containing Ghost ver 7.  All partitions and drives are FAT32.  One time, had problems restoring NTFS.  I used to backup to CD's, I now use hard drives because they are faster and you don't have to keep changing media while doing the backup.