Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Power problem...  (Read 13238 times)

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Computer Power problem...
    « Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:35:47 AM »
    But at the end of the day I'm only here to help and not be questioned about my posts on advice!!

but you will be questioned at one time or another. you have to, at any time, be prepared to defend your statements. yes, it can get annoying, but as long as you know what you are talking about and as long as you can back your statements up you will be fine.

Sorry, I'll refraze it - I don't mined been questioned by someone who knows what they are talking about! Like yourself.

Btw, Did you see anything wrong with the posts I made in this tread. I'm about talking computer terms!!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:33:12 AM by Frankie »

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 08:04:26 AM »
      First of all, thank you all for quick response. No, I can't give you any specs on the computer as I never seen it working. As mentioned before the computer is really simple: Mobo, 1 Hard Drive, 1 CD Drive, and CPU + Fan. The power supply is working 100% because I bought it yesterday fresh from the box, everything is connected properly I double checked it. When I power it on I was hoping to at least see the power supply start but no power supply no other hardware will function, except the green light on the mobo.

A bit later this evening when I get back from school I'll post some pictures, although it may be possible that the mobo is in contact with the back cover case which won't let it power up, it happened to me last time. I'll update you guys later on today. Thanks again.
      Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

homer

Expert
        « Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »
        The power supply is working 100% because I bought it yesterday fresh from the box

that does not mean its working. do as i suggested earlier and test to see if the PSU kicks on. do not worry about being shocked as the voltage that is present there is not enough to shock you.

if the PSU kicks on that means that there is a problem with the motherboard. then i would recommend removing the motherboard and making sure all standoffs are in place. while the mobo is out, i suggest also looking for anything that could possibly be shorting the motherboard, such as a foreign object or a bulge in the computer case.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
          I agree with homer and I would also clean around the cpu heat sink there's alot of dust piled up in the fan and heatsink.

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »
            Success, I did what you said and power supply fan is spinning so its working, the thing is freaking silent I couldn't hear it but felt the air flow. Going to remove motherboard in a bit.

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »
              I cleaned the PC completely, placed everything back together, reconnected power supply and still not even the power supply will turn on now, any suggestions now? What could be the problem? Is it possible for the motherboard to be dead even though the green light is on?

homer

Expert
                « Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »
                Is it possible for the motherboard to be dead even though the green light is on?

yes. but just before coming to the conclusion that the motherboard is fried, is the front panel I/O header on the motherboard correctly hooked up to the power and reset buttons?

DwayneZ

Rookie
                  « Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 12:40:59 AM »
                  Try disassembling your computer and start back to zero.
                  Graphic Cards Reviews
                  http://www.mygpu.info/

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
                    Is it possible for the motherboard to be dead even though the green light is on?

yes. but just before coming to the conclusion that the motherboard is fried, is the front panel I/O header on the motherboard correctly hooked up to the power and reset buttons?

Well, I assumed that could be the problem, but I was told the computer worked before and no one messed with inside hardware so technically it should work but it wouldn't hurt to check. With this old mobo I don't really know which ones to connect where if I disconnect them. Is there a manual or a tutorial specifically for this mobo.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
                      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »
                    Have you tried reseating the other components? videocard, RAM...
                    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
                    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                      « Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
                      Have you tried reseating the other components? videocard, RAM...

The only other removable component is RAM which I reseated and even then still nothing.

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
                        Is there a manual or a tutorial specifically for this mobo.

i looked but i could not find one. hopefully the front panel I/O header is labeled. if it looks like it is hooked up correctly, and all the PSU leads are hooked up correctly, then i believe it is safe to say the mobo is fried.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
                        If you can provide us with the manufacturer and model number of your mother board...I'll look for a manual for you.

You didn't list that information within this thread...

homer

Expert
                          « Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »
                          the model number is in one of the photo's he provided.

K8V-MX/S is the model number. the closest i could find was the K8V-MX, however it looks nothing like the one he has.