Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Power problem...  (Read 13253 times)

stevejohnson1958

Re: Computer Power problem...
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
Found this information from hardforum.com...

Even though the manual says K8V-MX

One of the posters stated this fact:
UPDATED: Fujitsu Siemens Computers distributes the K8V-MX/S as the "D1711" mainboard. Here's their link to the KV8-MX/S User Manual (in PDF format):

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/...11-Z120-UK.pdf

xavier

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »
Gigabyte has a K8 board> I had same PBLM 1 time Put in new Power supply, ram, V card ended up motherboard  bad

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    « Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »
    Its an ASUS motherboard and that sticker K8... is the only valuable information in terms of model. This is a pretty old PC, and IF the mobo is fried then I'm thinking is it worth buying a new mobo or it would be better to buy a new one in the long run.
    Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
      it all depends on how old the pc is. And it depends on how big your budget is.

Crafty

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
      There is a possibility that the motherboard may be faulty. But rather then exchanging that right now for a new one; I felt it better to test other things first. What is the point in buying a new mainboard if you don't need one!!

hey you are annoying one and next give better advice too not a dumb one like you did tonight

Looks like Frankie may be right after all. People here need to be given a chance to diagnose a problem first before giving out any good advice.
      « Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:37:50 PM by Crafty »

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 09:53:24 PM »
        I never diagnosed motherboard for functionality, how do I go about doing that? Any suggestions? I don't have a spare motherboard to perform a quick swap and taking my current PC apart is a great idea I have too many components connected.

What are my options? Oh, since its not my pc I'm not sure about the budget, my friend was willing to buy another power supply (which we did, and ye I tested the old power supply with a paper clip method and it didn't work so its dead) not sure if she will be up to buying a new mobo, but shes not into buying another PC thats for sure, so may be new mobo after all that is if current one is actaully fried!

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
            I've never tested a motherboard before so I don't know how to do it but maybe the other guys do. i'm sorry about that last post. but from what other people have said I have to think that the mobo is bad too.

Crafty

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »
          I never diagnosed motherboard for functionality, how do I go about doing that? Any suggestions?

You would do what is called a bench test to test the mainboard, but I’m not so sure that you would be comfitubale doing this as it requires using a screw driver to switch the computer on and the mainboard been placed outside of the computer on top of a cardboard box. 

What I would do if I was you is the next best thing. Disconnect all these things from the computer. Hard drive, DVD/cdrom, video card, soundcard. Now all you should be left with is mainboard/cpu heatsink fan/ ram. Now boot the computer up and see if anything happens? like fans start spinning, if you also have another slot for the ram on the mainboard I would try that slot to.

Ok, now if none of the above brings any luck then the problem is what has been suggested already. Either faulty power switch wich a computer shop could test in seconds. Faulty mainboard, cpu or heatsink fan. Heatsink fans are cheap, so I would consider trying a new one of those. 

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
            Recently, I've tried disconnecting hard drives and cd drives leaving only power supply, cpu+ fan, and ram. Still nothing. I tried taking out and reseating power switch jumpers on the mobo still nothing. Is  there a way to test heatsink in a similar way as the power supply? If yes, how? I visited my local computer store "PC Village" - www.pcvonline.com (looks exactly like www.canadacomputers.com for some reason) anyways, their price is $35 for just a check up to tell me whats wrong with it before they get to fixing it. I don't feel like wasting $35 bucks on an old pc like this at the moment!

This is the most information I could find for this mobo: http://www.fixya.com/support/p568356-asus_k8v_mx_k8vmxsi_motherboard

Any other suggestions?

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
              You can't test a heatsink cause it's just a metal block with fins. The fan you can test though and also the processor on another board.Also how old is the pc if it's pretty old it's time for a new one. If it's a pretty old pc rather than spending money on getting it fixed I would replace it or just replace the motherboard and processor.

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
                The pc is pretty old, most likely from 2001-2003, and I'm guessing its one of those ready-to-go desktop PCs which is why its so hard to find the mobo manual.

How would the CPU Fan cause any power problems though? Wouldn't it just say that CPU is overheating and turn off automatically or something? Btw, I replaced my ram with the existing and still nothing so that eliminates the ram too which leaves: CPU, Motherboard, or the Fan. I'm curious which one of these three could possibly keep (at the least) from powering power supply?

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
                  i would say either the motherboard or cpu at this point. In my opinion if the computer that old i would buy a new since it would cost about the same to rebuild that one. That what I'm going to do probably within a year or so.