Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a little help...  (Read 12170 times)

homer

Expert
    Re: Need a little help...
    « Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
    I would go non-stock CPU Cooler Fan to be on the safe side of over heating but thats just me.

i was going to put the thermaltake ultra 120 on the list, but i could not find it on that site. actually, i just found it!!! i swear it was not there when i was looking for it on wednesday.

this...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125

combined with this...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185059

provides awesome CPU cooling. 350zrida, if you havent placed the order yet, i recommend adding these two to the order.

ultimatum

Intermediate
      « Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
      Nice, I got Hyper 6+ which is nice and quite but foolish me I didn't check whether it supported my CPU and it didn't so now it runs at much lower RPMs then its suppose to.

Fan Speed: 1800-3600 (Control by PWM, what is this anyways?)

Mine runs at: 1657 stable and yet manages to cool down the CPU, used to be 30 degrees C but recent check showed just over 50 C.  :-\
      Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »

[/quote]
        i was going to put the thermaltake ultra 120 on the list, but i could not find it on that site. actually, i just found it!!! i swear it was not there when i was looking for it on wednesday.

this...
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125

combined with this...
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185059

provides awesome CPU cooling. 350zrida, if you havent placed the order yet, i recommend adding these two to the order.

[/quote]

I forgot to order the keyboard and mouse yesterday so I will just add these to todays order. Thanks again for your help.

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
          Okay, so everything is in now and we are attempting to put this thing together. Unfortunatly my brother in law got to the boxes before I did and decided to open everything. Now I have a mess of wires all over the place. I dont know what goes with what. I have put the Processor, RAM, and GPU on the board already. My question is what cables are needed to hook up the Hard Drive, and the two DVD burners?

homer

Expert
            « Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:55:33 PM »
            Okay, so everything is in now and we are attempting to put this thing together.

you dont know how to build a PC? i strongly recommend reading the motherboard manual and maybe viewing some PC building tutorials. the components that you bought are expensive and can be damaged if not hooked up or handled correctly. here are a few things to remember:

1. if it doesnt go in, DONT FORCE IT! the only thing that really requires some extra force to put in place is the RAM.
            2. if you dont know, DONT HOOK IT UP! its not wise to play the guessing game on computers, especially expensive ones like this.

My question is what cables are needed to hook up the Hard Drive, and the two DVD burners?

the SATA cables that came with the board. you will also need to supply the harddrives and burners with power.

here is a SATA cable...

I have put the Processor, RAM, and GPU on the board already.

did you mount the heatsink yet?

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
              Just mounted the board to the case. I have watched a few youtube presentations on putting together the parts. They make it look so easy. I have learned a lot by doing this and am planning on upgrading my daughters computer depending on how successfull this build is. I hope I havent jacked anything up...time will tell though.
              Thanks again Homer for your help and input.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
                did you remember to mount the heatsink before attaching the motherboard to the case?

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
                  Yeah,  I remembered. The build is going slow, but we are getting there. I hope to be done 2morrow night sometime.

ultimatum

Intermediate
                    « Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
                    did you remember to mount the heatsink before attaching the motherboard to the case?

Thats one of the worst mistakes I've ever done when mounting my heatsink. I had to take the motherboard and disconnect everything three times before I got it right. First I forgot to place those safety pins to keep mobo from touching the case, second forgot to mount the heatsink support from the back of the mobo, well and third time I got it all right. Silly mistakes but something that can easily slip your mind and harm hardware components.

Good luck on your build 350zrida!
                    Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
                      Well, it looks like I got everything right the first time. I am setting up the BIOS/CMOS settings right now. Under the system clocks section, should I change any of the stock settings, if so, what do you all reccomend?

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »
                        the EVGA 780i mobo can support DDR2 1066MHz, but i believe you need to set it manually. set the RAM voltage to 2.0v and set the speed to 1066, if its not already. also, make sure the timings are 5-5-5-15.

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
                          the EVGA 780i mobo can support DDR2 1066MHz, but i believe you need to set it manually. set the RAM voltage to 2.0v and set the speed to 1066, if its not already. also, make sure the timings are 5-5-5-15.

All of those settings were default on the MOBO, so I didnt have to change anything. Im having the damnest time trying to get the coputer to boot from the DVD drive so I can install Vista. The DVD drives are on SATA 1 and 2 while the Hard drive is on 6. Not sure why its not booting from the disc.....What do I need to do??

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 03:44:49 PM »
                            Not sure if this was mentioned but try reading a book about it if you seriously get into.  Check your BIOS when it starts usually its like delete,f2 or f12.  Then go threw an see whats booting frist.  I would set it up to the floppy or dvd drive first in case then the drive.
                            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

350zrida

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
                              Not sure if this was mentioned but try reading a book about it if you seriously get into.  Check your BIOS when it starts usually its like delete,f2 or f12.  Then go threw an see whats booting frist.  I would set it up to the floppy or dvd drive first in case then the drive.

Yeah, for this MOBO getting into BIOS?CMOS its the DEL botton...Ive read the MOBO manual too many times and I am trying to get a hold of EVGA right now, but from what I can see it should be booting from the DVD drives then the HDD....just checked the disc and its fine. Everything is hooked up correctly, it reads all 3 drives, its just not botting *censored*!!!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
                                Did you check your jumpers an connections?  Does it just stop at the post?
                                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres