Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adsl: can't connect using ethernet cable  (Read 5548 times)

mangojuice

Topic Starter

Starter

adsl: can't connect using ethernet cable
    « on: June 20, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »
    I bought a new wireless router and I must connet to the internet using a ethernet cable to set it up.

I can connect to the internet using wireless card but when I try the ethernet cable, it doesn't work.

The computer detects that I connected the ethernet cable. Everything actually looks like it works, but i can't see webpages and the setup said that there is a problem with my connection.

any advice would be appreciated.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: adsl: can't connect using ethernet cable
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »
    what does it say the problem is? when you see the message, click on it for more info

mangojuice

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
      the setup just says that there is a problem, nothing specific.

the wireless (that works) and the ethernet cable used the same internet. weird thing is that ethernet cable method doesn't work.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
      where does it say there's a problem? is there a popup with a button you have to press or is it a little bubble down in the corner of the screen?
      Open your Network Connections in Control Panel and double click on the icon that says Local Area Connection (or similar). This will bring up a status window with two tabs, open the second tab and click Details. In the window that appears, do all of the "Properties" have a "Value"?

mangojuice

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »
        all the properties have value except the last two

DNS server and WINS server

viking

Adviser
        • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
          « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
          See on the router options if he received a DNS value (WAN IP settings or something like that).

If the router has no DNS memorized, connect a computer directly to ISP router/modem and see what settings he receives. Note the DNS address (you find it in the output of ipconfig /all command); connect back the wireless router; set up the DNS addresses on each computer with the values you found on the computer connected directly to the ISP equipment.

mangojuice

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 04:28:28 AM »
            The when i use the old router, I do get a DNS value but not a WINS value