Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 D-Link Connection Drops After 30 minutes  (Read 4672 times)

xeon

Topic Starter

Windows 2000 D-Link Connection Drops After 30 minutes
    « on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
    Our home D-Link wireless adapter connection to Linksys router keeps dropping internet connections.
    Scenario:
    1.  Reboot computer - (Windows 2000)
    2.  D-link WDA-2320 icon (in systray turns green.  SID has a blue halo signifying connectivity. )
    3.  Connect using IE, AOL, or Firefox.  Connection last about 30 minutes.  Browser stops working.  D-Link icon continues to show green but the blue halo turns on and off.  Browser never able to connect to the router when the blue halo turns off.  The DHCP address is missing in ipconfig /all.

Need to reboot to get another 15-30 minutes of wireless connectivity. 
    When ipconfig /all is run after reboot, there is a valid address in the fields, 'Connection--specific DNS suffix' and 'DNS suffix search list.'  After 15 minutes, these fields are empty.

These problems seemed to happen the end of May Windows security silent update push.  There are 2 other computers connected similarly to the router connected to cable modem with no problem.  One PC has D-Link, the other with Dell wireless driver.  Both are XP, one may have had an update, one did not.  None have the same Windows 2000 problem.

D-link WDA-2320 was updated with the latest driver - problem still exists.  Tried to connect in SAFE MODE w/ Network:  Could not find the driver.

Latest symptom after trying safe mode:  There are 2 connection profiles in D-LINK.  One I defined, the other is unknown.  With the 2 profile, the blue halo switches back and forth.

Would appreciate some help - would prefer staying with Windows 2000 since this desktop with DLINK PCI card is not resource rich.

piaaz

Rookie

Re: Windows 2000 D-Link Connection Drops After 30 minutes
      « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »
      you may not believe it...but it could the wireless card driver's problem (you will never get the NIC manufacturing to admit to that)...I have a similar problem at work.

My boss has a 2 years old IBM laptop....for a year and half no issue what so ever, all of a sudden, his network connection would be dropped after five minutes......no matter what, I could not fix it.....I even reformatted his drive and installed the latest drivers (clean system with the same issue).....I guess I should have tried a different NIC before reformatting !! so finally I put a Motorola Wireless PCMCIA card in his laptop with Motorola driver and everything started to work......So NIC drivers are big part of the problem even though they may be the latest version.

Cheers

xeon

Topic Starter

Re: Windows 2000 D-Link Connection Drops After 30 minutes
        « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
        Appreciate the tips.  Purchased a new Nic and XP upgrade,  but then found an Ethernet cable to connect the computer directly to the router.  Testing whether the problem still exists with a wired connection.  Regardless, thanks again.   :)