Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP won't recognize USB Scanner  (Read 5117 times)

DKsupern00b

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • DK - Not your average n00b.
    XP won't recognize USB Scanner
    « on: June 14, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »
    Hi all

Currently on XP, I have an old Mustek 1200 UB, USB scanner, usually I'm able to just plug it in the USB port and it'll install automatically.

However last time I plugged it in it didn't install correctly because I didn't set it to connect to Windows Update, and accidentally I hit the option that makes XP stop trying to install a device that failed to install if you know what I mean.

Any way to revert this effect? The scanner won't show up in the hardware listing anymore. What can I do?
    Please call me DK :-)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP won't recognize USB Scanner
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »
    This means probably that there are some remnants of the Registry settings still lying around from the aborted install...
    There's a few things you could try:
    1) Travel to Mustek's site and get the official drivers from the scanner for XP and install them properly.
    2) If that doesn't work DLoad and install CCleaner and run the issues scan on the left side...have it remove all references to Mustek....unplug the scanner and re-boot.
    3) Power down...plug in the scanner and re-boot...select your normal Windows update of the driver and you should be good to go....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DKsupern00b

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 06:17:46 AM »
      Hello patio, thanks for taking time to reply.

I tried the CCleaner but even tho I tried with all it's features it didn't return any results related to Mustek. I tried fixing everything it found anyways, rebooting and plugging the scanner in and out but it's still the same.

I installed the drivers, and it even loads the scanners user interface but when I click SCAN or when I try to enter the UI through Photoshop it says the scanner isn't plugged in. I have restarted, pulled out the plug, while it was off, inserted while it was on and off and countless other combinations, you name it.

My computer simply cant see the scanner.

Do you know more methods? Haven't Microsoft implemented a way to revert the hardware ignore feature?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
      Post a screenshot and/or list of what Services are running...
      These can be found by going to Start/Run and typing in msconfig and hit Enter....

WARNING: Do not make any changes at this time.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DKsupern00b

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:42:45 AM »
        All Microsoft Services with exception of Spools are running since I have no printer. All other services from third-party programs are disabled except my antivirus. I'm not sure how much screenshots or listing will help since it's all in Danish language.