Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not powering on.  (Read 2331 times)

McPimp

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer not powering on.
    « on: June 17, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »
    I checked the other topics about this subject and some of them seem pretty similar but not quite what is happening to me.  I got a Dell Dimension desktop 4600.  I bought it a couple years ago and it's always ran pretty smooth.  I've replaced a lot of the parts in it though, including new ram, video card, and power supply.

It stopped working last night and I've spent 6 or 7 hours today trying to fix it myself and look online on how to fix it to no avail.  When I press the power button, all that happens is the fan will start spinning and the outside green light will come on.  I don't hear any beeps, the hard drives don't spin or load up, none of the normal stuff computers do when they load normal happens.  I should add the fan spins at a medium speed, not super fast or anything. 

I read online it might be the power supply so I tried it in two other computers and it worked fine, I also moved another working power supply into my computer and it still wouldn't load up.  I've tried moving the ram all around, I don't even have the video card anymore since I don't care about video right now, I Just want the thing to load the hard drives at least.

The last thing I remember doing is moving the monitor plug from the video card port onto the integrated graphics port while the computer was still on.  (stupid I know)  The monitor wouldn't load up, and also wouldn't go back up when I put it into the video card port again, and now it doesn't load at all no matter what.  I thought maybe the mobo fried, but I don't see any burn marks and the fan and that mobo light still work.

This is my last hope for help before I have to pay a repairman 100 bucks or so to come out and fix this thing so any help would be appreciated.  Let me know if you need any more info.

I could also post a little video of the inside of the computer when it loads up if that would help.  Thanks again.

homer

Expert
      Re: Computer not powering on.
      « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »
      if you have already tried another known-working PSU in your comp, then i suspect the motherboard, assuming you hooked up the PSU correctly.

pacdude9

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
        I had a similar issue. The problem is your computer isn't POSTing... Finding the problematic part of the machine is the hard part. It could be your processor (as it was in my case), RAM, Motherboard, or power supply (which you say its not, and I believe if it just stopped working after 2 yrs.)

McPimp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:31 PM »
          Hmm, Well like I said, I doubt it's the power supply or the ram.  And it seems strange that it would just suddenly stop working like this. 

Is there any way to find out if it's the motherboard or the processor without having to swap parts from other computers until you find the right one?  Because to be honest, I think that might be a little beyond my abilities.  Not to mention incredibly time consuming.

Also do you think it would help to take it to a repair shop, or would they just end up charging me 50 bucks to tell me the motherboard is done.

I should add, there is actually another Dell 4600 in the house that has the same motherboard and processor as my computer.  If it's not too hard, I might be able to switch the processors to see if that's the problem?
          « Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:08:28 PM by McPimp »

homer

Expert
            « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »
            if you have the exact same processor, then i recommend swapping them. i have a funny feeling the problem is the motherboard and the CPU swap should confirm that.

McPimp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »
              heh, sounds like I'm pretty much screwed then.  I just don't think I got the knowledge to try and replace the mobo or the processor.  I especially don't wanna end up screwing up the other computer since it's the one my step dad uses. 

So one last question, do you think I'd be able to get some kind of repair shop to fix this?  Assuming they would charge me for the motherboard and the repair?

Hmm, well after seeing places charging 150/hr to fix my computer, I've decided it might be best to just buy the parts and fix it myself.

Not to hijack my own topic but if anybody could point me to a place where I could buy the motherboard and processor for this thing I'd appreciate it.
              « Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:52:44 PM by McPimp »

homer

Expert
                « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »