Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't delete an infected write-protected file...??  (Read 3838 times)

rubbersoul

Can't delete an infected write-protected file...??
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »
Hi-
  I have a Windows ME program w/a McAfee Virus Scan which detected an infected file.
  When hitting Delete-Quarantine-Clean buttons, a blurb box & Status says "Writed-Protected File, Can't Delete..Can't Quarantine...Can't Clean.
  My PC is on life support as it is, but I notice it has been crawling when I turn it on.
I tried to highlight the file name & right-click Delete- Nothing.
  Does anyone out there have an answer to this dilemma?(particularly one that doesn't involve astro-physics..)
   Thanks.

squirrel

Re: Can't delete an infected write-protected file.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
try the following force-delete procedure.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

if this generates an error message, reproduce the message complete with all the gibberish-y stuff.

rubbersoul

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »
Hi-
  Will do. Gibberishy Stuff sounds like street slang for Astro Physics!! No, thank u for a quick response.
   This thing had me talking to the computer "What else do u want from my life..."
 I will do that as soon as I get home.
Thx again

rubbersoul

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »
Hi Again-HELP AGAIN!!

I tried what 'squirrel' had mentioned with the Command Prompt & Task Mgr but didn't get far.. with the eldergeek.com  DELETE_UNDELETABLE_FILE

My PC has Windows ME & its called MS-DOS Prompt not Command Prompt but when I entered TaskMgr.exe to list my files, Windows did not "recognize" taskmgr.exe.

Any one have any suggestions? How to get around this? Is it possible -like Command Prompt being called MS-DOS Prompt- Task Manager on Windows ME (or my PC,anyhow) might be under a different name?

Also, the VirusScan lists the name of the file infected- ( C:_RESTORE/ARCHIVE/FS232.CAB ) Does anyone why my Search Files doesn't come up with this? I'm trying anything, including to find out what this file is.

This is a drag. 1 file out of 36,000 is making my PC act weird. I just want to delete, quarantine it.

Any Help Would Be Sorely Appreciated

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:41:55 PM »
    it seems like its in your system restore

did you turn the system restore off before you did all of the scans? and in safe mode

rubbersoul

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
    No, I didn't. I just thought it was time to do a check since the PC is running slower & weirder than usual. And bingo....withiin the first 1000 or so files I hit an infected file out of 36000 or so.

I can tell you I ran the System Restore recently when I had a problem a couple of months ago. FYI, I notice the Virus Type is a 'Trojan' according to the Mcaffee VirusScan that detected it.

Turn off System Restore & put in Safe Mode? What would that do while running the Scan? If it isn't detected then thats where it is? Is that what you're saying?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 02:48:20 PM »
      it makes it so that only the important files are running during the scan so u can deltete the infected one

turning off the system restore prevents the infections from coming back.

if its a trojan than dl and update ewido and run it in sade mode

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

post the results

Trajic

Re: Can't delete an infected write-protected file...??
      « Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »
      Here's 3 sure ways of deleting any locked file in Windows....
      1.Taskmanager
      1)bring up taskmanager...2)go to processes...3)right click on explorer,and in the context menu,select END PROCESS...4)click on file,on top,and select New Task Run...5)in the new pop up window select browse,and browse to the file,right click on it and see if you can delete it...6)
      2.Unlocker
      If that doesnt work,download a small very usefull app,called 'Unlocker'...after installation,right click on that stubborn file,and select unlocker in the context menu...a window will pop up...at the bottom is a drop down window....select 'delete'...then select 'unlock all' on the right hand side...if that doesnt work then go thru steps 1 - 6 on top but this time use unlocker when you right click on the file,and do everything i mentioned on top concerning  the 'unlocker' app....
      Hope this works for you..if it doesnt,i'll post another

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: Can't delete an infected write-protected file...??
      « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:32:50 AM »
      Hold on a sec, if i'm not mistaken, this topic is two years old?

The OP isn't even here anymore...