Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can not shut down browsers or resart the computer  (Read 2755 times)

samfeather

I can not shut down browsers or resart the computer
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:49 AM »
Hi I am new at all this and seem to be having a problem, thought I would see if I can fix it myself before I pay someone else to do it. 

Ok I have Windows Vista, I was in the middle of installing something when my screen just wouldn't do any more.  I clicked on the x at the top and it will not close down.  I can still open and close other browsers but this one remains.  I tried to restart the computer and it will not restart or shut down I click on the button and nothing happens.  I did Ctrl,Alt, delete nothing. It won't shut down or close the box, it's not like it's frozen because I can still open tabs. 

I googled and found something that said to make sure my windows update had been updated, I clicked on start update and now that box won't close down.

Have no idea what to do please help!!!!

Thanks,

Sam

devlin

Rookie

• Love your PC again....Install Linux
    Re: I can not shut down browsers or resart the computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:04:38 AM »
    Hi I am new at all this and seem to be having a problem, thought I would see if I can fix it myself before I pay someone else to do it. 

Ok I have Windows Vista, I was in the middle of installing something when my screen just wouldn't do any more.  I clicked on the x at the top and it will not close down.  I can still open and close other browsers but this one remains.  I tried to restart the computer and it will not restart or shut down I click on the button and nothing happens.  I did Ctrl,Alt, delete nothing. It won't shut down or close the box, it's not like it's frozen because I can still open tabs. 

I googled and found something that said to make sure my windows update had been updated, I clicked on start update and now that box won't close down.

Have no idea what to do please help!!!!

Thanks,

Sam

My condolences you have Vista.....

Do you have an anti-virus program? If so scan your system if it will let you. It almost sounds like Explorer is having a melt down. If the A/V scan comes out clean then I suggest just turning the machine off via the power button. Many systems require you to hold the power button in for 10 or 20 seconds to be sure it hadn't been accidentally pushed. Wait about 20 seconds then re-start the computer. If it was just a rouge application all should be good now.
    Man plans, God laughs...