Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scanning Application Issue  (Read 3361 times)

pghgirl

Scanning Application Issue
« on: February 16, 2005, 07:05:04 AM »
I have an HP scanner that was working fine without a problem until recently.  Now when ever I try to scan I get a message that states the scanner is being used by another application.  Not that I know of.  I have tried uninstall/reinstall and I still get the error message. I really need to scan something ...is there any way I can find out what other application is using the scanner and turn it off?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Scanning Application Issue
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 11:52:34 AM »
    pghgirl........You didnt mention , if possibly you have connected the scanner to a differant pc . If you haven't .....is your scanner connected to a USB port ....because its possible that it may well be that trying a differant USB port may resolve your issue. What operating system are you using and have you updated anything .  Have you looked at your device manager to see if anything is flagged or has an exclamation point displayed .

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pghgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
    The scanner has not been connected to a different pc...I only have 1 pc.  It is connected to a USB port.  I am using Windows 98.  Based on your advice I looked at device manager and nothing is flagged or has an exclamation point displayed.  I have tried a different USB and I still get the message that the scanner is being used by  a different application ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »
       pghgirl.......Ok , Is your pc plug and play. When you add new hardware does it tell you that new hardware is detected ....yada , yada , yada and then prompt you to either let windows search for the appropriate driver or if you have the installation disk to put it in the cd drive now ?
      So here's what to try ....
      First go into the control panel and remove the scanner .
      next make sure that all the scanner drivers have been removed .

Physically remove the USB cable from the scanner to your tower ( at the tower end .)

REboot your pc and see if there is any referance to the scanner still there ........if theres none ........ then shut down.

Now get the scanner installation instructions and follow them to the letter.
      I would think that it would say .....with your pc off .......
      plug in the USB cable to your pc.   Then turn on the power switch on the scanner.
      Reboot the pc ...........after it boots up you should see a message box pop up down in the lower right corner to say that new hardware has been detected ...... It should prompt you to put the installation disk in your cd drive ......... It should load and you should see a message to say that your new hardware has been successfully installed ........Now give it a try and see if it works .

Let us know

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.