Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What cable do i need for my monitor?  (Read 2864 times)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    What cable do i need for my monitor?
    « on: July 11, 2008, 06:28:27 AM »
    just about to go to PC world. but i got a newbie question, what is it that i ask them for?
    it's a "Targa Visionary LCD 19-2", with Audio in, DVI in and D-Sub sockets...

i have none of the cables... or the power cable, just an old power cable for an older screen (that should work ok, right? (not sure how much power it needs, doesn't say))

what would be ideal is if i could use this screen instead of my TV, for watching programs and playing my xbox.. the screens bigger than my TV
    but if that can't be done i'll just use it as a PC monitor.
    or for all 3 would be awsome if that is possible :)

thanks

Ted2

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What cable do i need for my monitor?
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »
    Argh, don't go to PC World, they'll charge you around £40 (no, I'm not joking nor exaggerating).
    What output do you have on your graphics card?
    And yes, as long as the pins match up the older power cable should be fine for it.

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »
      i'm not sure of what all the outputs are called.. but the card is a SiS 650
      think the socket is called HDMI? don't know.. the standard one, that's blue.. looks like this 
      o\\ . . . . . //o
         \\. . . . //       

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
      Sounds like it's VGA - 15 pins, right?
      If so, you'll need a VGA cable.

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
        ok, thanks
        so a VGA cable to a.........? the DVI in.. or D-Sub? i now know one end is a VGA but what's the other end have to be
        i'm guessing the Audio is just a normal small jack to jack lead, got one of them.

also, do you or anyone know if i'm able to plug my xbox360 into this screen?
        theres no scart lead socket or anything else just the 3 sockets i stated above.. so wondering if theres some kind of adapter i can buy?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
        The VGA cable will only go in one hole at each end, it has a VGA connector at each end.
        One end will go into your graphics chip, the other into the D-Sub port on your monitor.
        If you want to use the monitor speakers it's a 3.5mm jack to your sound card's output.

As for the Xbox, if I'm not mistaken that uses HDMI, so you'll need a HDMI to VGA or DVI adapter.

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
          perfect, thanks calcum.

and yep, the xbox is HDMI.. atleast on the xbox end it's a HDMI.. the other end of the cable is 3 jacks (white, yellow, red) that has a scart adapter also..
          so i'll have to look for adapter for one or the other that i can put in the DVI in.
          going to be happy if i can find get this adapter  ;D
          i actualy forgot about the xbox and it being high definition.. sadly i don't think the screen is high definition though.. then i'm not sure.. the only sites i could find on the screen were in anouther language..

and incase anyone is wondering "no cables? knows nothing of the screen?"
          no. it's not stolen :P
          sadly a relative of mine is loosing his eye sight.. was dopped off to me.. without the cables.
          anyway, thanks again calcum.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
          The screen will probably be HD, most monitors far surpass even the latest TVs in terms of resolution.
          And you're welcome.

Dias de verano

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
          a VGA cable is also called a D-SUB

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »
            ahh ok, yeah that's the one.. my little attempt of drawing one was a little off, huh  ;D
            i'm just used to monitors that have the cable perminatly attatched to the back.. probaly better way, can't loose em' then.
            i coulda' guessed the VGA cable goes into the "D-Sub" as they look exactly the same.. just wanted to make sure..

as for the PC world advice, i know..  but i prefer to buy hardware from a shop, then online... don't ask.. i'm just stubborn like that.. i like it from a shop.. that way i get a recipt and can take it back plus theres not needing to worry about hackers taking my credit card lol.. then again theres theifs on the street too.. but atleast i get the chance to smack em' one if they do ;D.
            (just kidding, i'm not paranoid.. it's the recipt i like :))

although, i may have no choice to buy online for this adapter for my xbox360.
            PC World is the only computer shop i know of in my area  :(

Dias de verano

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »
            just used to monitors that have the cable perminatly attatched to the back.. probaly better way, can't loose em' then.

Except if you damge the cable the monitor is f****ed.