Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange USB Flash Dive problem: drive does not work in all slots  (Read 9751 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Strange USB Flash Dive problem: drive does not work in all slots
    « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
    Sorry I had to reread the post.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
    I didn't know the U3 stuff could even be removed. I'd love to be able to get rid of the ones on my flash drives. I don't think I've ever hated software more then I hate U3. (I wouldn't mind if I could DISABLE it somewhere, but no-)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
      Its possible but I never done it cause I found it useful, does take up a small percent of the drive.  But when Patio comes back on he'll tell you if you ask him.  He mentioned how to do this once but not sure where it is.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »
      Quote from: SanDisk FAQ
      Can I remove U3 technology from my USB drive? Yes. To remove the U3 technology from the drive, simply go to the U3 Launchpad and, under Settings, select U3 Launchpad settings and click Uninstall. This will completely remove the U3 Launchpad from the drive.

You can also download an uninstaller from here.

I used the first method.

(You can reinstall U3 again from here if you want to.)
      Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »
        Patio said that was impossible, gusses not.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »
        Patio said that was impossible, gusses not.

and again....
        U3 may be the culprit here...
        I automatically remove it from any new drives...

:-X
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jddomine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 11:37:29 PM »
          Thanks for all the posts on this topic.  I have not resolved it yet, but then I have not been able to uninstall all six of the Microsoft Updates that were installed between the last successful use of these two Cruzers and the time they failed.  I was able to retrieve the list of updates though Dell's "Help & Support" utility, but that is only a listing.  Add/Remove does NOT have all 6 of the updates listed; it especially does not list the 4 WinXP updates.  I uninstalled the other two, but the Cruzer still does not connect.  If I get a chance this week, I am going to uninstall SP3 and see if that "fixes" the problem (these Cruzers worked after SP3 was installed).  I will them do a manual update and add back those 4 updates one at a time to see which one is killing the Cruzer.

Just for clarification, I have an older, non-U3, 2 GB Sandisk Cruser that works fine.  I also have two 1 GB PNY drives that work fine.

Thanks again everyone.  I will report back what happens.  I've fallen behind because Comcast IS "provider??" was down here for a few days!!!

JDDomine  20080630