Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS Loading Intermittently.  (Read 3865 times)

dnarris

Topic Starter

Starter

BIOS Loading Intermittently.
    « on: June 24, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »
    I've been having trouble with my computer recently and wanted to see if there might be anyone on this forum with enough general knowledge to help me trouble shoot the problem so I might be able to repair it.

The problem:

My PC will currently load bios randomly upon bootup. 9 times out of 10 nothing happens. That 1 time is rare it will load bios.

So, step one I feel is to at least figure out why the computer won't load to bios everytime.

Further Problems:

I am continually losing input and output from my USB and PS/2 ports. Hard to fix anything, software related, when your only interface periphals are going offline.

How I believe the problem started:

I recent received an error message "Blue screen of death" telling me that I was experiencing a memory dump. I believe the memory dump was associated with either my chipset or one of my GPUs.

Sometime later I then experienced a kernel error in windows.

From that point on I've been experiencing the problems I have related.

What I have tried so far:

So far I have attempted to load to BIOS with all other hardware detached. This includes monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, sound card, video cards, and hard drive. I even tested with only one memory stick in at a time.

I have also attempted to reset CMOS by temporarily removing the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes before replacing it.

I have attempted to format my hard drive and reinstall a clean install of my OS. However, the process can not be completed as I lose my ability to interface in the middle of the process.

So...currently I am wide open on suggested that might alleviate these problems....at least starting with the loading of BIOS.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: BIOS Loading Intermittently.
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
    Have you cleaned and reseated the CPU and heatsink?

Also make sure your motherboard is not grounding out
    on the case.
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

dnarris

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »

on the case.

I gave cleaning both of them a shot. I haven't noticed any difference in the symptoms that are appearing. I double checked to make sure that there were no loose wires or anything of that nature grounding on the case. Are you saying that it might be possible that the motherboard itself is being grounded out due to contact with the case?

I'm still looking for other options I might not have thought of thus far.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:50:59 AM »

on the case.

Are you saying that it might be possible that the motherboard itself is being grounded out due to contact with the case?

I'm still looking for other options I might not have thought of thus far.

Yes, the motherboard itself could be grounding out on the case.

Did you use CPU thermal paste ?
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »
      Replace the CMOS battery...
      Temporarily borrow a PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "