Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer refuses to download and ie is slow  (Read 14711 times)

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: my computer refuses to download and ie is slow
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »
I was actually just talking about that with a friend at work.  He downloaded the stuff I asked him for and then forgot to bring the disk with him to work.  Hopefully Wednesday I'll be able to try this out and see if it works.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Goodluck and keep us posted! ;D
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Missy_Nicholas

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 02:12:17 AM »
    Did you choose Safe Mode with Networking

Honestly, I'm not that great with computers to begin with so I have no idea how to choose Safe Mode with Networking.  Could you please tell me how to do that?
    Safe Mode

No luck.  I'm running Windows ME and I don't have that option.  I can only choose Safe Mode.  There are no other options.  Thanks for trying though.

Missy_Nicholas

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
      Try System Restore to a point before this started happening.

I may agree but hardly think now is the time to jump to such a drastic move.

Have you tried downloading with a different browser, it may not be a solution to your IE problem but it may help in the mean time.

Its free http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I have not tried downloading with a different browser because I don't have any other ones installed.  I would try out firefox, but I can't download it.

Seems like I'm running in circles.  Thanks for the attempt!

Missy_Nicholas

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 02:26:47 AM »
        I was actually just talking about that with a friend at work.  He downloaded the stuff I asked him for and then forgot to bring the disk with him to work.  Hopefully Wednesday I'll be able to try this out and see if it works.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Goodluck and keep us posted! ;D

I need all the good luck I can get right now.  I apparently forgot to tell my friend that I was running Windows ME, and he has Windows XP...so the disk he gave me is no good.

Would anyone happen to know of any stores that would sell the programs that I need on disk?  Should I try a computer store or Best Buy or something?  Or would I just be better off to get a new computer at this point?  This one is about 6 years old.

Annon

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:23 AM »

Its free http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/.....

Quote from: Missy_Nicholas on Today at 02:21:00 AM
        I have not tried downloading with a different browser because I don't have any other ones installed.  I would try out firefox, but I can't download it.

Silly me

Edit: Do you have a genuine Windows ME CD?

You may want to consider doing a repair install:

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=189400897

Is there any chance that your computer has been compromised by malware? What other symptoms does it display?

Do you know what your hard drive space availible is? A friend of mine in another part of the country is having simular problems, but I know that she only has 5% free space on her hard drive.

If you don't know, and you do not know how to check. Right click on Start. A list will come up, CLICK on EXPLORER. Then on the Right side of the window that comes up, RIGHT CLICK on your main hard drive, normally C: and then CLICK PROPERTIES... Then look at the GENERAL tab and look for the USED SPACE and the FREE SPACE and the CAPACITY. Capacity is how big your drive is. If the USED SPACE is close to that Capacity, then you might want to think about Upgrading to a bigger Hard Drive.
        « Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:11:13 AM by Annon »

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
        Do you have a genuine Windows XP CD?

Ahmm.. I think she said she has Windows ME on her computer.. ::)
        "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:21:28 AM »
        Try to backup your files...
        Do you have your Windows ME cd? You might want to do a clean install of your system..
        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Annon

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
        Do you have a genuine Windows XP CD?

Ahmm.. I think she said she has Windows ME on her computer.. ::)

Cheers - Edit has been made mistake fixed.

Missy_Nicholas

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

Its free http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/.....

Quote from: Missy_Nicholas on Today at 02:21:00 AM

Silly me

Edit: Do you have a genuine Windows ME CD?

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=189400897

Is there any chance that your computer has been compromised by malware? What other symptoms does it display?

Do you know what your hard drive space availible is? A friend of mine in another part of the country is having simular problems, but I know that she only has 5% free space on her hard drive.

If you don't know, and you do not know how to check. Right click on Start. A list will come up, CLICK on EXPLORER. Then on the Right side of the window that comes up, RIGHT CLICK on your main hard drive, normally C: and then CLICK PROPERTIES... Then look at the GENERAL tab and look for the USED SPACE and the FREE SPACE and the CAPACITY. Capacity is how big your drive is. If the USED SPACE is close to that Capacity, then you might want to think about Upgrading to a bigger Hard Drive.

No, I don't have a Windows ME CD.  Darn it all.

It may have malware.  I'm not sure.  Other symptoms it has lately are that none of the "movie-like" ads on pages will load.  If I try to go to YouTube, everything except the movie will load.  There's not even a box where the movie should be, just an empty space.  I'm now thinking it may be a problem with my video card, but I have no idea how to check to see if something has disabled it or not.  I've been reading through all the things I could find on this site, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in that area.

I know that my drive space is low, but I only have 4.3GB to start with.  I have a little over 300 MB open.  I've had as much as 800 MB open, but when I went online the next time, it was back to 300.  That makes me think there is really something wrong.  Something is eating up my space, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions now?  I really appreciate everyone's help!!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
          Is your PC a genuine Microsoft product? You should have the Windows ME CD.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
          Why dont you try this out..

Take out your HD. Put it in your friends computer and have it scanned there...
          --Kuya Daniel Razon

Missy_Nicholas

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 02:00:28 AM »
            Is your PC a genuine Microsoft product? You should have the Windows ME CD.

I don't remember getting the CD with the computer when I bought it.  That doesn't mean that I didn't get it when I bought this thing, it also might mean that my ex took that as well when he left.   >:(